BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Actually this tabl
It's not splitting the atom but those guys make it look deceptively simple. If you have the time and inclination, a visit to one of Poco Pollo's clinics would greatly advance your prospects.

ADDENDUM: I most seriously doubt those young men began their careers using such sophisticated accoutrements.

Actually this table is very widely used in China at the commercial level. Many caponizers are initially trained using it. I've seen a video of a team doing this procedure with several operators going at once with another team member handing each of them a fresh chick. The speed is incredible. The table has an automatic 10,000 chick counter underneath to track the work of the person. I've also seen pics of enormous flocks of "Three Yellow" capons that have been caponized this way. The procedure is also done on a small scale in China without the table but also without the ties and weights we use. They work bare foot, squatting over the chick using their feet to hold the feet and wings. Again it is much faster that the techniques used here but can't compare to the 10 seconds using the table.

The "Three Yellow" chicken is a dual purpose breed used in much of China's commercial enterprises. The capons fit the taste of the Chinese customers who don't like our Broiler (Cornish Cross)

Hi,
They don't sew up the incision afterwards. Don't they worry the cut will get infected?
Or filled with maggots or something?
Thanks,
Karen
Oh, on the topic of infection, newly castrated capons should be kept in a clean cage with a wire floor away from the barnyard for a few days. That helps keep the flies situation under control. Apparently there can also be bubbles that occur under the skin of some capon chicks that need to be pricked with a needle to deflate.

Actually this tabl
Actually this table is very widely used in China at the commercial level. Many caponizers are initially trained using it. I've seen a video of a team doing this procedure with several operators going at once with another team member handing each of them a fresh chick. The speed is incredible. The table has an automatic 10,000 chick counter underneath to track the work of the person. I've also seen pics of enormous flocks of "Three Yellow" capons that have been caponized this way. The procedure is also done on a small scale in China without the table but also without the ties and weights we use. They work bare foot, squatting over the chick using their feet to hold the feet and wings. Again it is much faster that the techniques used here but can't compare to the 10 seconds using the table.

The "Three Yellow" chicken is a dual purpose breed used in much of China's commercial enterprises. The capons fit the taste of the Chinese customers who don't like our Broiler (Cornish Cross)

When one first begins, speed is NOT a friend. You are planning to learn on Dorkings I think which kinda pains me. They are, in my opinion, too good a bird, even hatchery stock, to 'learn' with. As before, I suggest the Austra-Whites from Cackle because they are cheap and very uniform, Excellent birds to train with and if there is success, they still make a pretty good capon and if a miss or death, not nearly the loss as the Dorking..IMO

RON

When one first begins, speed is NOT a friend. You are planning to learn on Dorkings I think which kinda pains me. They are, in my opinion, too good a bird, even hatchery stock, to 'learn' with. As before, I suggest the Austra-Whites from Cackle because they are cheap and very uniform, Excellent birds to train with and if there is success, they still make a pretty good capon and if a miss or death, not nearly the loss as the Dorking..IMO

RON
Out of curiosity, what about the "Fry Pan Special" from Cackle for learning to caponize? I can't say that caponizing is a goal for me this year, but I've always thought that that might be a good start for cockerels if I were to practice.

Out of curiosity, what about the "Fry Pan Special" from Cackle for learning to caponize? I can't say that caponizing is a goal for me this year, but I've always thought that that might be a good start for cockerels if I were to practice.

I guess they are all male and they would certainly work but for capon starters, I think the Austra-Whites are superior because of their uniformity and shape. However, I see NO reason why the special wouldn't work.

Last edited:
For at least 2000 years the procedure has not included sutures. The skin should be pulled back during the operation so that when you release it the incision in the skin moves away from the wound, therefore there is no opening thru to the chicken's insides. The procedure is done millions of times in China with no sutures. I'm still waiting to get all of my equipment and the chicks to work on but it seems that the worst part of the experience for the chick is the length of time it takes to perform. The faster it goes, the less stress. Sutures require extra time and extra pain for the chick.

Sutures might even unintentionally introduce vectors for infection.

I guess they are all male and they would certainly work but for capon starters, I think the Austra-Whites are superior because of their uniformity and shape. However, I see NO reason why the special wouldn't work.
Thanks! How is kidding season going (if it's started for you)?

My Cochin eggs must be internally pipped! They r chirping and wiggling!! Hopefully my Cochin roo is the dad! Hoping the Aussie eggs are sired by my Aussie-Weldummer cross roo! I think the pullets from the ¾ Aussie ¼ Welsummer will be good layers! New pixs of my roo. U can see he is quite big!

So my capon project just took a major step forward. My caponizing table came yesterday from China via Poco Pollo in Oklahoma. She was kind enough to import it for me, and I'll be getting a large set of operating tools thru her as well. Now if I can just get my White Dorking chicks... my fingers are crossed.

The Chinese clearly have a handle on the art of caponizing, and with this table the operation only takes a few seconds... with some experience I'm sure. The table quickly restrains the chick and then drops it into a box at your feet before the chick knows what's happened. You don't have to tie feet and wings or hang weights. It's much simpler looking than all the descriptions I've read. I'll include a link to the video below.

Now that seems doable to me, I have tried all that weights on the wings and tying them, so gave up on the caponizing but would love to try it again with that gear.

Back
Top Bottom