BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Ok guys so I am a little happy and a little disappointed. Some of you remember that I lost my big beautiful Buff Orpington Rooster. During the time he was breeding my girls I was selling fertile eggs to a guy and he was hatching them out and selling them. I called him and asked if there was any way I could get a couple buffs back from him hoping to score another rooster. So he said he said he kept only a few chicks and grew them out and he was going to bring me a rooster. Bad news the rooster he brought me is "not" a Buff Orpington, good news, he is fathered by my Buff Orpington, he is about 12 weeks old, what do you all think?

Looks New Hampshire-ish.

Ok guys so I am a little happy and a little disappointed. Some of you remember that I lost my big beautiful Buff Orpington Rooster. During the time he was breeding my girls I was selling fertile eggs to a guy and he was hatching them out and selling them. I called him and asked if there was any way I could get a couple buffs back from him hoping to score another rooster. So he said he said he kept only a few chicks and grew them out and he was going to bring me a rooster. Bad news the rooster he brought me is "not" a Buff Orpington, good news, he is fathered by my Buff Orpington, he is about 12 weeks old, what do you all think?

Lol, I don't even have chickens and I know that's not an orpington! I guess at least he has some of the genetics you wanted...

Looks New Hampshire-ish.
Well I didn't have any New Hampshire in the coop with the Buff, the possible mother hens are Buff Orpington (ruled out) Black Sex link (ruled out I know what those mixes look like) these are the only other hens that are possible mothers:

A mixed red hen (she was a rescue I keep her because she goes broody)

And an araucana hen

Here is the Dad rooster that I lost

Hopefully the Crele Orpington Chick I have is a rooster, then I can segregate the Orpingtons and leave this mixed roos with the other hens.

Lol, I don't even have chickens and I know that's not an orpington! I guess at least he has some of the genetics you wanted...
Yes at least that is true. But I like nice big stocky birds, will have to see how this guy fills out or doesn't.
God willing I will have a full blooded Orpington for my Orpie hens, perhaps the baby crele chick in the brooder will be a roo.......so funny I am always wishing for pullets
and now my fingers are crossed for a cockerel.

Yes at least that is true. But I like nice big stocky birds, will have to see how this guy fills out or doesn't.
God willing I will have a full blooded Orpington for my Orpie hens, perhaps the baby crele chick in the brooder will be a roo.......so funny I am always wishing for pullets
and now my fingers are crossed for a cockerel.

You always get the opposite when you want one :gig Or I do anyway.

I've been fighting with crop issues for months now in a Blue Ameraucana cockerel. No matter what I did, and I tried everything, it wasn't clearing up. His weight was dropping even though some food was clearly getting through because he wasn't weak after months of this. The smell of his breath went from sour to horse-diarrhea-with-a-touch-of-death. Obviously invasive action was required.

So, last night I laid him out, covered his head with my old barn coat, and preformed crop surgery. This was the impaction I pulled out:

It was slowing down his digestion so much that he had scratch sprouting (!!!) in his crop.

The patient is alive and well today after his emergency surgery. He is such a gentle soul and stood there patiently while I changed his bandages and cleaned the wound. Also, my hands still smell like his crop contents over 12 hours later. It's awful. Oh, and my 10-year-old barn coat? Gotta go in the trash. The fluid was pouring out of his crop and got all over it. There's no way that old coat will survive a trip through the washer.

I've been fighting with crop issues for months now in a Blue Ameraucana cockerel. No matter what I did, and I tried everything, it wasn't clearing up. His weight was dropping even though some food was clearly getting through because he wasn't weak after months of this. The smell of his breath went from sour to horse-diarrhea-with-a-touch-of-death. Obviously invasive action was required. So, last night I laid him out, covered his head with my old barn coat, and preformed crop surgery. This was the impaction I pulled out: It was slowing down his digestion so much that he had scratch sprouting (!!!) in his crop. The patient is alive and well today after his emergency surgery. He is such a gentle soul and stood there patiently while I changed his bandages and cleaned the wound. Also, my hands still smell like his crop contents over 12 hours later. It's awful. Oh, and my 10-year-old barn coat? Gotta go in the trash. The fluid was pouring out of his crop and got all over it. There's no way that old coat will survive a trip through the washer.
GOOD JOB! I am glad he made it through surgery! Hopefully he heals up quick and ypu can use him for some breeding or whatever your plans were for him!

Have I said lately how much I HATE processing adult roos?????? Well, it can't be repeated enough, every time I say "That is the last time I do that" but then find myself in a spot where it needs doing again.

I finally did it, I invited Stripey Butt to dinner. Several weeks ago I posted how he was being aggressive towards me, well it escalated to picking on a few of his hens. I considered offering him for sale for local pick up b/c he wasn't being aggressive to Gary. But this week his aggression just got to far out of hand for anyone to tolerate. He started attacking ALL his hens. I'm not talking rough or unwanted breeding, I'm talking running jump kicks broadsiding the hens knocking them down!!!! I've never seen such behavior even hens he regularly bred. I was almost hoping to see something wrong internally to explain this but he was pristine.

I have to say except for the adult roo connective tissue processing was amazing, I kept thinking I was forgetting somthing, no skinning no boiling water, no feather mess.

Back
Top Bottom