BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I did weigh him lol. In our area anything but hatchery stock is rare to see. But anything is possible.
Same here. I don't have any breeders (that I have found) within 3 hours of me. But I have managed to get my hands on some birds from the best flocks in this part of the country.

Same here. I don't have any breeders (that I have found) within 3 hours of me. But I have managed to get my hands on some birds from the best flocks in this part of the country.
Very nice..... I am a novice, I started chickens to have fresh eggs and found that I truly enjoy them. Only time will tell what becomes of my chicken addiction. Lol

I might have to get some chicks from you. I'm always open and know there are always exceptions to the little I know. ;)

The boy in your avatar is impressive. What's his age?
My avatar? Was almost a yr old I think. I unfortunately had to cull him for aggression, attacking my kids.
Did hatch one white cockerel from him though on Easter that looks just like him and so far have seen no aggressive behavior.

I have had hatchery white rocks. They do not get that big? Assuming the bird is actually 14 pounds? Did you weigh the bird? Jersey Giant maybe?

I did weigh him lol. In our area anything but hatchery stock is rare to see. But anything is possible.
I thought possible giant also but they have dark slate gray/willow legs and dark brown eyes.
Hatchery non-sop birds though maybe might be that off type.
I have seen pics on here of white giant's with just slightly willow legs but not yellow.

My avatar? Was almost a yr old I think. I unfortunately had to cull him for aggression, attacking my kids.
Did hatch one white cockerel from him though on Easter that looks just like him and so far have seen no aggressive behavior.
Sorry to hear about the man aggression. My best cock became aggressive toward my daughter and my shoes. It was funny when he hated my barn boots, but going after my daughter even with a fence between was worrisome. All of his offspring have been very good with no issues. So hopefully it's gone for you and you get some more studs like the one in your avatar.

I thought possible giant also but they have dark slate gray/willow legs and dark brown eyes.
Hatchery non-sop birds though maybe might be that off type.
I have seen pics on here of white giant's with just slightly willow legs but not yellow.
Could he be a cross between Jersey giant and Plymouth Rock? That would explain both size and yellow legs.

I raise Wyandotte and have no issues with frostbite, they lay in winter, carcass is hefty and the meat is tasty. In addition the hens make great mothers, the roosters are protective and man friendly. I have Columbian, Black, White and Blue.
I have a White NN hen I'm putting with a very large White Wyandotte rooster this month.

Could he be a cross between Jersey giant and Plymouth Rock? That would explain both size and yellow legs.

I raise Wyandotte and have no issues with frostbite, they lay in winter, carcass is hefty and the meat is tasty. In addition the hens make great mothers, the roosters are protective and man friendly. I have Columbian, Black, White and Blue.
I have a White NN hen I'm putting with a very large White Wyandotte rooster this month.

I've been looking for some good White Wyandottes for a while now. Every time I think I've found some, I pick them up and there is nothing to them under the feathers. They seem to be all fluff.

I thought about just getting some and trying to breed them up for carcass and faster growth, but I have enough projects going on.

Almost three years ago I hatched out Bielefelders, thinking they would be my preferred breed. They're lovely birds, very tame and friendly, and my absolute favorite rooster is my Biel rooster, Bosch, who has been granted "pet" status because he's so sweet and affectionate with me and a good rooster to the hens. That said, this turned out NOT to be a good breed for southern AZ as they simply can't handle the heat here.

After culling several and losing a few more to heat stroke, I was down to just two hens and my beloved Bosch. The hens have never been good layers here and I finally decided I just need to cull them and be done with the feed expense. Last week I butchered one of the two remaining girls who has seemed less than hardy as of late. I have never...and I mean NEVER...gotten so much fat out of single bird. She weighed at at 9 lbs live weight, and after removing a full two cups of extra fat (with probably just as much left on her body), processed out a little over 4 lbs, and I'm convinced that most of that weight was from the fat I was too lazy to cut off her carcass. When all was said and done I had enough meat from her carcass to make a nice pot of chicken soup...that's it...but enough fat to render down and cook with for at least the next few months.

Lesson learned...."big birds" don't always equate to good meat.

I'll probably butcher the last remaining hen this coming weekend. Based on the feel of her body I don't expect nearly as much fat this time, but at least this experience has alleviated some of the guilt I always feel when I butcher a member of my flock. That much fat....that's just not healthy!

This thread falls too far down in the page count. It's not a real productive time of year for a lot of us, but still. Something outside the cuddly lavender crowd shouldstay on the first page.

What are your 2018 goals/projects?

I just set some eggs for hatching. Wanna try a new brooder for outside. Don't want to sacrifice the chicks, hoping it goes well.

Well, I have my LF Australorps as a dual-purpose, and I've been looking into some of the NN's as meat birds. I have 3 buff NN he's, and am looking into getting a white NN roo for them, along with a few white or splash NN's hens.

I currently have some Australorp hatching eggs in my incubator along with some Australorp/NN cross eggs. I have been keeping those 3 Buff NN hens in with my Blue Australorp rooster for the time being, until I can find them the rooster that I want.

Back
Top Bottom