Breeding Pen Shelter with Polycarbonate Roofing

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
Hi guys!
We have several bigger coops, but now we're working on some breeder pens. The goal is for a simple, inexpensive, easy design to protect a small group (4-5) from the elements in our hot climate.
Today is build day for the first one, I thought I'd check if we are not thinking of something by asking you helpful people :)

Materials we have on hand:
100 ft Hw Cloth (1/2 in)
2, 8ft long Polycarbonate Roofing panels, in green so we can refer to it as "The Green Coop" (talking about who / where is hard).
6, 8ft long pressure treated 2x4's (Mom wanted 4x4's but I talked her into these because the store wouldn't cut 4x4's and we only have a sedan for transporting lumber)
4, 8 ft long 2x6's
A medley of assorted planks and sticks from the bargain bin (Mom was thinking to cut pieces for the roof framing from the 2x4's in this pile)
Brackets to connect the planks (you should have seen us in the aisle trying to figure out which goes where)
Screws: 2 inch, 2 1/2 inch, 1 inch with fender washers
Caulk and gun and Mom that can actually operate it (for roof screws)

The Plan has been:
A single sloped roof, 4 X 8 under the roof with longways roost.
Open Air design (Mom's idea included a back to the coop, my idea involved backing it up near the house to cut any "winter breeze", but since I didn't get any wooden sheeting we'll just have to figure it out... somehow).
An incorporated run with HW Cloth.

I'm starting to wonder if a more complicated roof design (5 sided) would offer more wind protection. We don't get much wind, only during storms, but I wonder if I'll wish we planned for it. The location is sheltered by other buildings including the house, and heavy oak trees on the other side provide deep shade and a windbreak.

Well, we made a little bit of progress today. I don't know how some people build so fast 😅
The hens digging holes where we had just raked didn't help.
So far, we have the foundation structure. We decided to put the 2x6's on the bottom, side up. The vertical posts are in the inside corners secured by brackets. Sitting on pavers.

And we finally figured out which way the roof will slope, which was really hard!
It will be 8ft wide by 8ft long, half roofed, half HW Cloth (then a medium security run). The low side 6ft tall, the high side 8ft tall. Does that sound too extreme @3KillerBs ? We haven't cut yet, so we can still make changes.

Oh, and we decided I'll probably head back to the hardware store for some sheeting to make one partial wall.

The low side 6ft tall, the high side 8ft tall. Does that sound too extreme @3KillerBs ?

Doesn't sound extreme to me.

Neuchickenstein is 6-7 feet at the back and about 10 feet (or was it 12?), at the peak of the clerestory.

0722211419a_hdr-jpg.3012649

0917210947-copy-jpg.3012656

Height is good in a hot climate. It gives the heat someplace to go.

Back
Top Bottom