Brevard County FL Ordinance change

Hello Stephen!

We will be HAPPY to help you with any materials necessary to make your case before the HOA for changing their bylaws. Of course, the tone of your presentation as well as the support of your neighbors and friends in your community is key. We were approached at the Food Revolution event in Rockledge by THE PRESIDENT of one of the Merritt Island HOAs who wanted backyard chickens!!! I was SO EXCITED to meet him because urban chickens are certainly becoming a more common element for families of all economic strata.

I think that one of the main issues in the bylaws is the DEFINITION OF LIVESTOCK. Should a chicken REALLY be equated with a cow? Certainly CATTLE would be more difficult to maintain as backyard production animals than CHICKENS. While we were doing some research for changing code here in Brevard County, we came across this STATUTE FROM THE STATE OF FLORIDA defining a DOMESTICATED ANIMAL:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=domestic+animal&URL=0500-0599/0585/Sections/0585.01.html

UNDER ARTICLE 10, the State of Florida defines a chicken (poultry) on the same level as a DOMESTIC dog or cat. What makes this nice for us is that it defines most animals that are common for homesteading, including SHEEP, which we are trying to maintain on our property for 12 months out of the year instead of just the 6 month loophole that currently exists.

If you need copies of MUNICODE, I can provide those for you too. Tallahassee allows chickens AND roosters. St. Augustine has a lenient city chicken policy. Even in Brevard County, the City of Melbourne (which has about 45,000 residents) allows backyard chickens with NO PROBLEM (they DO have a permit process if necessary).

I think that some of the biggest obstacles that you will have are: property line setbacks, coop type, food storage to prevent rodents and possibly, the number of birds allowed. (we are not asking for roosters in residential neighborhoods so this should not really be a concern for you either)

WHAT I WOULD RECOMMEND is for you to find out the AVERAGE LOT SIZE in your HOA (maybe reference largest lot / smallest lot). With our formula of 2 birds per .1 acres, how many birds would ACTUALLY be in your neighbor's backyard? Would you be willing to help moderate any issues that should arise if this were to be approved? Would you help re-home any accidental roosters that might come in a batch of chicks? If you could not get the 75% (I don't have ANY idea about what kind of support you could realistically expect in an HOA) would the board be willing to allow say 10 individuals to have chickens in your community? Orlando is allowing limited permission (VERY limited) for backyard chickens as a test program.

I have a vintage car that I like to tinker with and I leave my muddy shoes on the porch so I have NEVER even CONSIDERED living in an HOA community (A friend of mine who lives in Viera was recently cited for leaving her children's wet shoes on the porch overnight - she got a LETTER about it! It would REALLY BOTHER ME that someone was looking that closely at my house) BUT, to each his own.

Avid Homestead can also provide you with a ready-made petition form that is easy to read and allows for comments and contact information so that you can get your 75% and have the supporters come to the board meeting. We would also be happy to address the board or meet with you if you need additional help. I also have a very nice summary that you may use with the HOA board that addresses many chicken concerns and "fears". It is HERE at the website: http://www.avidhomestead.com/chicken-fact-and-fiction-why-backyard-poultry.aspx

Thanks so much! Let me know if we can lend you any additional help!!! Best, Margaret

637 1557 home

Andy,

We just APPRECIATE you SO MUCH!

I don't think that we could have gotten as far as we did without YOU!

The publicity and authority that you brought to the meeting before the Brevard County Board of Commissioners was outstanding!!! They were certainly impressed with the QUALITY of the presentation, the printed support materials and the local voices who initiated this event and set the board to re-thinking some of the outdated and ridiculously obfuscated COUNTY CODE that currently exists here.

We will be meeting with the Planning and Zoning Board next week to review the report that they will present to the Board of Commissioners on August 21st, 2012. We are VERY ANXIOUS to see the report so that we can know how much progress we are really going to make towards POSITIVE change! I am sorry that we missed you when you were broadcasting from Titusville in July, but we had taken off considerable time from work that week to meet individually with the county commissioners and just had to get back to our "regular jobs" on Friday!

Thank you so much for all that you do to promote backyard chickens and urban homesteading!!!

Best,

Margaret Goudelock and Toby Napier

www.avidhomestead.com

YES, there IS a way for you to sign the petition WITHOUT YOUR NAME being visable!

http://www.avidhomestead.com/communities/usa/florida/brevard-county/petition.aspx

Here is the petition link. If you notice, just under the first line of the NAME requested information, there is a small box to CHECK that says "Show my name on the internet".
If you DO NOT CHECK THAT BOX, then your information remains completely annonymous. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

UPDATE on the REPORT from the Brevard County Planning and Zoning department: WE will be before the Brevard County Board of Commissioners on August 21st, 2012 at the Viera government center in the downstairs MAIN BOARD ROOM at 2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera, Florida. The Board will be reviewing the report regarding backyard chickens and is asking for direction towards amending code and moving forward. Here are the report pages linked from our website at AVID HOMESTEAD:

http://www.avidhomestead.com/Data/Sites/1/brevardcounty_staff_report.pdf

We are asking that any concerned citizens show up at the meeting on Tuesday NEXT WEEK! Be sure to wear your brightest yellow / chicken themed shirt. We will have our poster that identifies us at the meeting - SOLO logo chicken, our black and white barred rock hen. Please contact us if you have any questions or comments regarding the report.

ACTION ALERT for BREVARD COUNTY code change to allow BACKYARD CHICKENS!!!

I want to REMIND everyone that tomorrow is a CRITICAL day for Brevard County code change to allow backyard chickens!!! TUESDAY AUGUST 21st is the meeting with the commissioners is at 9:00 a.m. in Viera at the government center (BUILDING C downstairs boardroom) and Planning and Zoning is asking for DIRECTION in order to write the new rules.

TWO POINTS : ONE CHICKEN is currently allowed / Planning recommends that we now be permitted TWO. The minimum lot size has been increased to .5 acres from the .2 that we recommended therefore ELIMINATING most average size residential lots. Their first recommendation is that people ONLY be allowed backyard chickens with a PERMIT and WRITTEN AFFADAVIT PERMISSION of your neighbors. WE NEED HELP giving the Board direction - Call your commissioners / SHOW UP at the meeting....there is STILL much work to be done!!!

CONTACT INFORMATION IS HERE: MOBILIZE the phone troops to call your commissioner for support. PHONE NUMBERS ARE HERE: http://www.brevardcounty.us/CountyCommission/

If you still don't know your district, then please go to the home page at www.avidhomestead.com and click on the interactive map to figure out who your commissioner is!!

County Commissioners Home
www.brevardcounty.us

LOOKING FORWARD to seeing all of our supporters tomorrow!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Hi Toby

Im totally new to this chicken thing. I live in Melbourne and wanted to know what the status of the ordinance debate is currently. Also, are there any local groups I can get involved with to learn about this. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely A New little Chick,

Cliff

We are looking to move to Brevard County next Summer (2013) and was wondering the status of this. A single chicken seems like very little. I don't see why a "flock" of two is a major problem. We currently have 4 and are allowed 6 where I live (which is not rural at all). Does anyone have insight (or a link) into why the 1 chicken restriction exists? Is it noise, disease, pests, or what? I would be much happier to bring 2 of our girls rather than choosing one. Of course I haven't looked into the regulation of bringing any of them with us from California.

ETA: I just had a thought that it might be an invasive species thing. But I still don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom