Brevard County FL Ordinance change

Hey, Brevard! Hey avidhomestead!

Any word on when the Commisioners plan on putting the vote onto the agenda? I checked the county site, and was not able to find an agenda for the next meeting. Weren't they supposed to vote in July?

And Brevard folks, avidhomestead's site has news on the petition from May...check it out!

Also hoping for some updates soon! Ofcourse even if this goes through I still have to deal with my HOA. In fact there is a bylaw meeting coming up in 2 weeks and I'm going to present my case.. yikes.

The newspaper article on FL Today says this is only for unincorporated Brevard, but AvidHomestead's site says "any resident". I signed the petition, but was just wondering what the specifics are for location?

AUGUST 21st is the BIG DAY for Brevard County Florida with backyard chicken code change!!! AVID HOMESTEAD is on the agenda for the Brevard County Board of Commissioners meeting which will be at the Viera government center (2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way - downstairs boardroom ) beginning at 9:00 a.m. PLEASE make plans to attend this meeting if you are able!!! We have had LOTS of positive feedback, but the number of supporters who attend in person always makes a difference!!

Well, there is MUCH to update for Brevard County Chicken change!!!

WHAT WE ARE DOING: Asking Brevard County to make significant changes to county level code that will allow a minimum of 4-6 chickens (hens only, no roosters) per RESIDENTIALLY ZONED household beginning with a .2 acre lot.

WHO WE ARE: our site is called AVID HOMESTEAD www.avidhomestead.com We are two individuals who wish to see significant code change to allow for backyard chickens, backyard gardening and homesteading. Our names are Margaret Goudelock and Toby Napier. We are ONE VERY BUSY FAMILY with two beautiful girls, three large dogs, quite a few rabbits and a chicken named SOLO (we are only permitted ONE chicken on TWO ACRES).

HOW WE GOT HERE: In discussions with code enforcement, we determined to change Brevard County code to be more transparent and less OBFUSCATED so that the general lay person can understand what is permitted on their property. We started with an online and paper petitions that as of July 2012 have garnered over 1,500 signatures.

WHAT WILL THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS DO TO PASS THIS? Discussion will be held at the Aug. 21st meeting and Robin Sobrino and Cindy Fox of the Brevard County Planning and Zoning Board will present their report regarding backyard chickens and make their recommendations to the five commissioners. In order for this to be approved, there must be THREE OUT OF FIVE commissioners supporting code change.

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT ME if I do not live in the county? For example, if you live in the CITY OF PALM BAY or the CITY OF ROCKLEDGE (or anywhere in city limits), once county code is changed, you as a city resident can contact your City Council and ask that the city adopt the new county code. Please contact Avid Homestead and we will always be happy to help you.

WHAT IS GOING ON NOW: We are planning and getting ready for the Aug. 21st meeting. Toby and I made face to face or phone appointments with four out of the five commissioners. We have asked our commissioner, Robin Fisher to come by our house which is called The Farmhouse in Cocoa to see what backyard chickens are really like. We have had so many positive comments from all the board members, but we would really like to share OUR homesteading experience with our very own elected representative.

HOW CAN CODE IN BREVARD COUNTY BE SIMPLE? SIMPLE!!! We have asked that families be allowed TWO HENS for every .1 acres of their property. Beginning with a .2 acre lot, this would allow FOUR HENS which could provide enough eggs for a family of four. Florida law limits produce sales on or from private property, so we are requesting this increase strictly for homesteading purposes. Agriculturally zoned property in Brevard County has no limit on the number of chickens (hens or roosters) that an individual may have.

We are working with individuals in the Planning and Zoning Department to develop a clear, concise code that will be as open as possible ie: no large setbacks, building codes applying to coops, permits, etc. We have not set A MAXIMUM BIRD LIMIT based on property size, but realistically, we should expect one.

WILL ROOSTERS BE ALLOWED? No. At .2 acres, a rooster can be a nuisance. We are not asking for code change to allow roosters.

DOES COUNTY CODE CHANGE OVERRIDE the bylaws of my HOA or city rules? NO.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP? Come to the meeting on Aug. 21st, sign up to be a writer or homesteading contributor at AVID HOMESTEAD, call your commissioner, TALK to your friends and neighbors about backyard chickens, RECYCLE!!!

Thanks so much for reading and please feel free to contact us at any time!!! Best, Margaret and Toby

Hello! WE will be back before the Brevard County Board of Commissioners on Aug. 21st (Tuesday) at the Viera government center when the fine folks from Planning and Zoning will present their report on backyard chickens and make their recommendations for code change. We have been working with the board members and the zoning committee to see that this will pass in a form that is amenable and helpful to the majority of Brevard County residents. Please feel free to contact your commissioner to show your support of attend the meeting in Viera - WARM BODIES DO MAKE an impression!

Thanks for all your help and support for getting this done in Brevard County!!! Best, Margaret

Please let us know if you need any materials to support your case before your HOA board. We are happy to provide you with some of the materials that we presented to the Brevard County Board of Commissioners as well as magazine articles, clips or articles from our website, etc. I would also recommend that you pick up the AUGUST ISSUE of Southern Living which has beautiful feature stories about the popularity of raising chickens in an urban environment.

Always feel free to contact us at any time! If you will email, I will pass along our home number - always faster to speak directly !!!

Thank you so much! Best, Margaret

Hello!

We were scheduled for the JULY meeting but got bumped due to the agenda that day being entirely dedicated to the 2013 county budget issues (which was PERFECTLY fine with me)! I have enough troubles with my own budget - yikes!

We have been re-scheduled and are on the agenda for AUGUST 21st at 9:00 a.m at the government center in Viera (2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way). In the meantime, we have been meeting with the individual commissioners to confirm their support. Right now, we feel confident that we have the necessary THREE OUT OF FIVE positive votes for code change to pass. We want to be SURE and have scheduled a visit for our commissioner, Robin Fisher to come by and see urban homesteading at our house, The Farmhouse in Cocoa.

If you could attend the AUGUST meeting, that would be FANTASTIC!!! Tell all of your friends and supporters too as we will be sending out emails from the website at www.avidhomestead.com and we will be talking with some of the support clubs and groups that have helped us get this far!!! 1,500 signatures and counting on the petition!!!

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have any more questions! Thanks so much, Margaret

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMMISSIONER TO ASK FOR THEIR SUPPORT ON AUGUST 21ST!!!

District 1
Commissioner Robin Fisher
Ph: (321) 264-6750
.Email Commissioner: [email protected]

District 2 (Chairman)
Commissioner Chuck Nelson
Ph: (321) 454-6601
Email Commissioner [email protected]

District 3
Commissioner Trudie Infantini
Ph: (321) 952-6300

District 4
Commissioner Mary Bolin Lewis
Ph: (321) 633-2044

District 5 (Vice Chairman)
Commissioner Andy Anderson
Ph: (321) 253-6611
Email Commissioner D5.Commissioner@brevardcounty.us

Hello! I will be trying to change our HOA by laws if the ordinance goes through (even though I feel it's a long shot..) - I spoke with a few people on the board and they said I need to write a change to the amendment and be VERY specific of the rules and how the hens would be maintained and what not. For example, the coop can't be visible over the fence, cant have more than 3 hens, can't do this, can't do that blah blah blah. Somehow need to make it clear and concise, and cover enough angles to make people feel comfortable about having hens. There are about 80-90 households in my neighborhood and I would need 75% of the votes to make it happen. The current by law looks like this:

Section 7.4 Miscellaneous Use Restrictions
(a) Fences, walls, blah blah …
(b) ..
(c) ..
(d) No livestock, horses, poultry, or animals of any kind shall be raised, bred or kept on any Lot, except that dogs, cat or other household pets may be kept provided they are not kept, bred, or maintained for any commercial purpose. Pets shall be kept only in the residence or within a fenced courtyard area.
(e) ..
(f) ..
(g) And so on..

So I would be adding/modifying this statement.. any help would be appreciated!!

-Stephen

Back
Top Bottom