Bringing in the outdoors

Feb 15, 2022
Hello chicken parents!
My chicks, about 3 weeks old, can’t seem to get enough roosting. They keep hopping up on the brooder walls and it looks painful for their feet. Can I bring a large old peach tree branch into their indoor brooder? I’m worried about what they might peck and eat off the wood… see stick in picture.

Attachments

• 8A17E918-1B04-460C-9E83-823461DD7675.jpeg
    8A17E918-1B04-460C-9E83-823461DD7675.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello chicken parents!
My chicks, about 3 weeks old, can’t seem to get enough roosting. They keep hopping up on the brooder walls and it looks painful for their feet. Can I bring a large stick into their indoor brooder? I’m worried about what they might peck and eat off the wood… see stick in picture.
Bring that in along with a chunk of sod for them to scratch through. It helps them develop their immune system.

Bring that in along with a chunk of sod for them to scratch through. It helps them develop their immune system.
Good idea. Just be careful. Some sod squares have a plastic mesh on the bottom. A thread was posted a while back where a chicken got tangled and died after eating the sod down to the plastic. I'd be even more concerned about this with chicks.

Good idea. Just be careful. Some sod squares have a plastic mesh on the bottom. A thread was posted a while back where a chicken got tangled and died after eating the sod down to the plastic. I'd be even more concerned about this with chicks.
Sod is just grass and the soil it is growing from. Shouldn't be plastic in it unless it literally came from a roll.

Back
Top Bottom