Bugs in my chicken feed

Those bugs are just a treat for the chickens. Heck if you free range your chickens, all they do all day long is look for bugs. Those in the feed just saves them the work of looking for them. They will not hurt the chickens.

Well, i tossed the feed that was in the feeders and filled with new feed from the other store. The rubbermaid with the old feed hatched more of those bugs, so will probably toss all that. i'm sure those bugs would be a great treat, but disturbed that they hatched out of the feed. Imagining teeny embryos crawling around in my chick's crop. But then i suppose that would not be any worse than crickets wriggling around in there.

Quote:
WAS thinking the same thing. If you let them range they eat a lot of stuff like that. Unless you feel you have been cheated or shorted seems like feeding them the bugs is just an added bonus. I've read here that some folks grow maggots and meal worms specifically to feed their birds. Protien and I have learned a little about that lately.

If it ain't moldy then go for it. The feed company has to put the disclaimer on the bag. (Do not use feed that is moldy or has insects)

My grandmother used to throw the feed on the ground unless I asked to do it then I had a little fun with that. Those 20 or 30 chickens did not know what a feeder was.

i probably should have dumped all those bugs in the pen with the chicks. i was just a little grossed out, but i suppose i need to get over that.

My kids don't free range, we don't really have a lot of space. But tonight when i went out to tuck them in, i saw the ground was crawling with crickets. So i pulled a couple of the more alert looking chicks out and used a flashlight to show them where the bugs were. They each must of eaten 15 or so crickets. Maybe i need to devise teeny miner's headlamps for them to go cricket hunting at night.

Yep gotta get over the gross part !

Can you imagine the light show of several chick headlamps?
wee.gif

Probably would have Nasa checking out your back yard

Quote:
Oh gosh, I can just see someone photo-shopping in one on a chick picture! My daughter heard me laughing at your post and the rotten child said, "simple minds are easily amused". I'll get her back....LOL

Hey- thats a good marketing idea--- Put headlamps on the chickens in your back yard...
No selfrespecting law breaker will come anywhere near that light show! just have to work out a shift schedule where they roost during the day and range the yard on the graveyard shift.
wee.gif

I have a bag of chick starter/grower from TSC and I swear I heard it crinkling and stuff so I looked in it and I see these microscopic bugs that look just like what is in the picture. But the bag has been in my room since I bought it?

Back
Top Bottom