Bugs in my chicken feed

I have been trying to get bugs in my scratch bag. Protein and whatnot. Left it open all summer with no luck.

I have been trying to get bugs in my scratch bag. Protein and whatnot.  Left it open all summer with no luck.

I'm sorry...was that a typo?
I need to ask the obvious question here and ask why in the world you would leave your bag of feed out intentionally to invite pests?
This post is about the CONCERN as to bugs infesting the chicken feed.
Would you do that with your food?

“For livestock owners, Flour Beetles can be a problem because they enjoy feeding on the grains used to feed these animals and the animals will refuse to eat it if Flour Beetles are present.
It also diminishes the value of the feed if they are found within it.“
“Red and confused flour beetles can infest practically any kind of dried grain, food product or powder.
This is why inspection for these beetles needs to be extensive and every single food product of this nature needs to be thorough evaluated and if a determination is made that flour beetles exist, then thrown away immediately.
It is never a good idea to try and salvage food by freezing or sifting to remove the insects. Any food that has evidence of flour beetles is considered contaminated and simply removing the beetles will not remove the contamination.” (http://www.epestsupply.com/red-confused-flour-beetles.php)"

The beetles give off a displeasing odor, and their presence encourages mold growth in grain.”
( http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/beetles/red_flour_beetle.htm)

Last edited:
This was an experiment of sorts. As of yesterday we have had no problem with bugs or mice where I keep the feed. If bugs become a problem then we invite the chickens to eat the bugs. They have been eating the ones in the garden, yard, wood pile and where ever they can find them all summer. No ticks this year. We also haven't had a mouse\rat problem either. Once again an experiment. The cats, tame and stray, seem to be doing a great job and earning their keep. I've had my Ladies for about two years and am still testing what I should/shouldn't can/can't do. Always keeping in mind the Ladies safety and happiness. And a bit of light hearted fun and learning.

I have recently been struggling with the same bugs that are originally posted in this thread, the photo. They are a problem! They are eating away at the chicken feed and have been pulverizing the feed so all I have is powder!!! I so annoyed with these bugs! So if you notice your feed is all powder, it could be these bugs! It took me awhile to figure this out.

I have identified my bugs as the Flour Beetle, Tribolium confusum.
Kruz became very responsive & called the place where I buy my feed & refunded me.
I would contact the company first to let them know.

Toss the bag!

I'm sorry...was that a typo?
I need to ask the obvious question here and ask why in the world you would leave your bag of feed out intentionally to invite pests?
This post is about the CONCERN as to bugs infesting the chicken feed.
Would you do that with your food?

“For livestock owners, Flour Beetles can be a problem because they enjoy feeding on the grains used to feed these animals and the animals will refuse to eat it if Flour Beetles are present.
It also diminishes the value of the feed if they are found within it.“
“Red and confused flour beetles can infest practically any kind of dried grain, food product or powder.
This is why inspection for these beetles needs to be extensive and every single food product of this nature needs to be thorough evaluated and if a determination is made that flour beetles exist, then thrown away immediately.
It is never a good idea to try and salvage food by freezing or sifting to remove the insects. Any food that has evidence of flour beetles is considered contaminated and simply removing the beetles will not remove the contamination.” (http://www.epestsupply.com/red-confused-flour-beetles.php)"

The beetles give off a displeasing odor, and their presence encourages mold growth in grain.”
( http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/beetles/red_flour_beetle.htm)

This is all funny to me - I spent a time working on herps at one point, and plenty of people culture flour beetles to feed to reptiles and amphibians.

I'm sure they do. But they shouldn't be in a bag of chicken feed for sale. Nor, are chickens amphibians.
I'm sure there are people who culture pantry moths or alike, but that doesn't mean I want them in a bag of cereal I buy from the store...

I keep my layer feed in a bucket that has a fitting where they just stick their heads in to eat, no dirty stuff gets in. However I opened the lid to check on amt of food left and there are tiny fly looking bugs running all over the food. Will this hurt my chickens since they eat bug anyway? Should I throw it out? They haven't been in there long as I checked just a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom