Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
I used to work in a lighting showroom many moons a go when everything thing was meant to be used with incandescent lamps. Is that fan light kit completely enclosed? It looks like it is. It used to be in a fixture that was enclosed like that and had a standard medium base socket with a plastic housing you could not use anything higher than a 60 watt lamp (bulb) because of the heat that would build up inside of the fixture thus causing a fire hazard. I am guessing a 15 watt incandescent lamp with the same type of socket as the CFL would probably be ok since there is not a tremendous amount of heat coming off of a 15watt lamp. What brand of fan is that Cyn, where did you get it? I am going to Home Depot tomorrow to buy some lumber, if you got the fan there I will look at the light kit for you.

Last edited:
I used to work in a lighting showroom many moons a go when everything thing was meant to be used with incandescent lamps. Is that fan light kit completely enclosed? It looks like it is. It used to be in a fixture that was enclosed like that and had a standard medium base socket with a plastic housing you could not use anything higher than a 60 watt lamp (bulb) because of the heat that would build up inside of the fixture thus causing a fire hazard. I am guessing a 15 watt incandescent lamp with the same type of socket as the CFL would probably be ok since there is not a tremendous amount of heat coming off of a 15watt lamp. What brand of fan is that Cyn, where did you get it? I am going to Home Depot tomorrow to buy some lumber, if you got the fan there I will look at the light kit for you.
It is Hampton Bay, seems very well made, made for damp locations, pretty well sealed up. We've used regular box and high velocity basket fans in the coops for many years, but you know how dust kills those, not to mention, they can be dangerous. This one has a metal housing, rated for outside/damp locations. The only thing plastic are the blades. Has a lifetime warranty on the motor. It's a 60" Carrington model.

I've used 15 watt bulbs for years and they barely put off any heat at all, almost as little as a CFL. This fan has reflective shielding and padding above the sockets that I'm sure would protect just fine. I was just confused about the "no more than 13 watts" statement. I have only used CFLs in a few things (I hate those ugly things). Currently, I have a 15 watt incandescent in a brooder lamp up high as a nightlight for the whole building-you can probably see it up over the bantam pen. I would like to take that bulb and put it in the fan if I can and just remove that brooder lamp. I can't imagine a 15 watt bulb would overload anything.

Last edited:
I was just confused about the "no more than 13 watts" statement...... I can't imagine a 15 watt bulb would overload anything.
Me too....Me either, makes me nervous tho.

The CFL wattage thing is kinda confusing....I just wonder if they are making things with lighter gauge wiring because of them?

Last edited:
Me too....Me either, makes me nervous tho.

The CFL wattage thing is kinda confusing....I just wonder if they are making things with lighter gauge wiring because of them?
The whole CFL thing bugs me anyway. I think they're ugly if you're using them in a ceiling fan where they're exposed, first of all, and secondly, dangerous to dispose of, supposedly. For folks using incandescent bulbs for brooders, they do not work because they don't put off any heat. They start out lower light than they are later when they're warmed up, etc. Some lights only use those, some take either/or. I'm going to research it. My husband, who knows wiring, or did prior to the advent of these CFLs, says he thinks it will be fine to put a 15 watt in one socket like we want to do.

Quote: I don't care much for them either....except where light is on for longer periods.
I do like that they come up to max illumination slowly for winter coop lighting.
They do need to be disposed of properly, just like the tube florescents....tho I think the toxicity is less than the tubes.
I'm sure you'll let us know what you and your DH's research reveals about that '13W max' really means.

I don't care much for them either....except where light is on for longer periods.
I do like that they come up to max illumination slowly for winter coop lighting.
They do need to be disposed of properly, just like the tube florescents....tho I think the toxicity is less than the tubes.
I'm sure you'll let us know what you and your DH's research reveals about that '13W max' really means.

Generally, I just don't care for fluorescent lighting. This house was full of it when we moved here, kitchen, basement, etc. Doesn't come on, hinky all the time, flickers, etc. Anyway, I was asking the guy at Home Depot about the fans (young guy, was so sweet, just got his very first chickens, some Golden Comets, and I said he should join BYC and look me up here, told him my screen name, said just to tell me he was Greg from HD so I'd know) and he said you could use the regular bulbs in the fan but we didn't discuss wattage at the time. Will let you know what we find out.

I am with y'all on not being crazy about the CFLs. Just another example of the government trying to babysit us.
sad.png

I will look at the kit today when I out but I am fairly certain you will be fine. If for some reason you start having a problem with the light kit or switch and you wanted to make a claim against the warranty they would probably tell you that you invalidated the warranty by not using a CFL . We have had Hampton Bay fans that are rated for outdoor use in the past and we have never had any problems so I am guessing you will never have to use the warranty.

Back
Top Bottom