BYC’s BirdTober thread - 2023

I am obsessed with scissor-tailed nightjar because they are birds designed to have the ultimate camouflage and be cute and nondescript but the males have these extravagant tails that do not look harmonious with the rest of the bird or very good for camouflage. I looked them up to draw and saw something even more bizarre, a standard winged nightjar which has thin feathers sticking out of its wings that have standards that are almost as large as themselves. I don’t think I did it justice though because I misjudged the space on the page and the standard would have been where the robin’s feet were so I had to move
3B04C7E5-D3FA-47A8-AE62-7D874C68DD47.jpeg
it.
D3A74605-A2C9-4492-9B11-489EE5038967.jpeg

I am obsessed with scissor-tailed nightjar because they are birds designed to have the ultimate camouflage and be cute and nondescript but the males have these extravagant tails that do not look harmonious with the rest of the bird or very good for camouflage. I looked them up to draw and saw something even more bizarre, a standard winged nightjar which has thin feathers sticking out of its wings that have standards that are almost as large as themselves. I don’t think I did it justice though because I misjudged the space on the page and the standard would have been where the robin’s feet were so I had to moveView attachment 3654012 it.
View attachment 3654014
They are so cute!

Back
Top Bottom