BYC Café

Does anyone have experience with Marek's? I am afraid that is what my flock has , despite being vaccinated. I suspect it came in on the 3 birds i bought to teach the guineas to return to the coop. I kept them isolated for a while at first, then they seemed ok so i put them in with the guineas . Which were living in half of the big coop. The other half had my young chickens in it.
First the rooster came up lame. Kept him separate but over time he showed no improvement. We put him down. Then the two hens died one at a time.
So far i have lost one Polish cockerel and three Speckled Sussex pullets. They look droopy for a while and then just suddenly die.
My question is do i just cull them all, or just wait for them to circle the drain and die one at a time. So very disappointed after all the time and effort of building the coop and keeping them since August and now this. Are there birds that do not get Mareks? Like the guineas seem immune. What about ducks and quail?

Does anyone have experience with Marek's? I am afraid that is what my flock has , despite being vaccinated. I suspect it came in on the 3 birds i bought to teach the guineas to return to the coop. I kept them isolated for a while at first, then they seemed ok so i put them in with the guineas . Which were living in half of the big coop. The other half had my young chickens in it.
First the rooster came up lame. Kept him separate but over time he showed no improvement. We put him down. Then the two hens died one at a time.
So far i have lost one Polish cockerel and three Speckled Sussex pullets. They look droopy for a while and then just suddenly die.
My question is do i just cull them all, or just wait for them to circle the drain and die one at a time. So very disappointed after all the time and effort of building the coop and keeping them since August and now this. Are there birds that do not get Mareks? Like the guineas seem immune. What about ducks and quail?
You should be able to see evidence of mareks with a nceropsy.
How old are they? The most common way mareks kill is with cancer at age two.

You should be able to see evidence of mareks with a nceropsy.
How old are they? The most common way mareks kill is with cancer at age two.
So is there a certain place to get necropsy done? I just had one die this afternoon. They hatched mid August. So seriously depressed by this.

So is there a certain place to get necropsy done? I just had one die this afternoon. They hatched mid August. So seriously depressed by this.
@casportpony has a list of places by state.
You can also do your own though--to see if there is cancer.

Necropsy is great because they are looking for cause of death.
Her is costs $20.00 per bird. It used to be free

Ok, thank you :hit

:hugsI am sorry about the losses!

When that happens to me, I worry that all of them will die. The Necropsy has come back as something that is singular though.

Knowing what killed her will help with a treatment plan

Back
Top Bottom