BYC Café

Mr sourland will know more about slipping chicks under a broody hen. I've never done it.
I don't even slip other eggs under them.
It's all pretty basic here. I don't confine them in any way so they can come and go as they please. If they decide they don't want to sit after all I just bin the eggs.
If they abandon their chicks then I'm afraid I kill the chicks.
Generally I let them sit and hatch where they want except now I don't let many sit out in the open. Next year this may be different as I've got an idea for some portable predator proof enclosures I can put up easily at night.

Thanks again. This is very helpful. I love that natural approach! Wish I could have a more natural approach like that. I am trying to let them free range more often though because I find they are far happier. Just hard to get over my fears of predators haha we have hawks, foxes, and raccoons here. Coyotes and skunks too but those really aren’t a problem.

We don’t have a rooster or else I would just let her sit on as many or as few eggs as she wanted and this would be a far less complicated issue haha

But since we don’t, I have to decide if I want to break her or get her eggs or chicks or what.

Morning Cafe

Thanks for the fresh pot of coffee IM! Good luck with processing today.

Shad, I always use a swatter. Gotten pretty good with one of those, but then, there's plenty of flies to practice on.
I always use a swatter too. Always was a pretty good shot but after I developed these tremors I have to aim about 4 inches to the right. Not the left the right.:idunno

Do you have any idea how tiring 'being social' is for me ? I'm exhausted. Ran three dogs this morning, and now am hanging here and watching Little League baseball on the TV. Princess gave me 'good BIL' props last night. I told her they are 'good Husband' props - I did it for her. :love She and her sister are so very different. :he I give my BIL the marital Purple Heart.

Hey good morning all been up a few hours taking fiber every morning in a bit of tang do get the 2 cups down first thanks ... Cap what did you get at the swap? or get rid of ?
I get to show my bitc* mode when we need it not to the guys never had to we have a pretty charmed life that way it is tramadol day today have to go do my coops yet

Hey good morning all been up a few hours taking fiber every morning in a bit of tang do get the 2 cups down first thanks ... Cap what did you get at the swap? or get rid of ?
I get to show my bitc* mode when we need it not to the guys never had to we have a pretty charmed life that way it is tramadol day today have to go do my coops yet

We are among the lucky.

Hmmm... I don't think I've ever seen that side of you Penny. :confused: I cant even imagine it.

Back
Top Bottom