BYC Café

Good morning, Cafe! Thanks for the coffee, Shad. No idea what the weather is like out there. They haven't turned the lights on yet. But Mad Hatter is crowing away. First morning for him to wake up without his girls. We had a rough day yesterday. Spent it in the chicken runs replacing netting, trimming trees and vines, and cleaning coops The cockerels are at "that age" and Mad is too rough on the girls. At the same time, he's being protective of them, but needs some time to grow up a little as he is not going about it in a way that will keep him living here. Nope. Not allowed to try to flog us. Not allowed to grab a pullet wing and not let go. So, I'm busy managing cockerels. I'll be out there at the first light of dawn to check on everyone and let Alice and Abby out of the strange coop they've never slept in before. I put them in with Lucy last night as she is the oldest and most docile of my hens. More work to do out there today, and hoping for a better go at it with the cockerels. Been reading everything I can on BYC about raising them. Here's hoping they will work out. :fl

Good luck with your boy Val (I like his name)!

Good morning, Cafe! Thanks for the coffee, Shad. No idea what the weather is like out there. They haven't turned the lights on yet. But Mad Hatter is crowing away. First morning for him to wake up without his girls. We had a rough day yesterday. Spent it in the chicken runs replacing netting, trimming trees and vines, and cleaning coops The cockerels are at "that age" and Mad is too rough on the girls. At the same time, he's being protective of them, but needs some time to grow up a little as he is not going about it in a way that will keep him living here. Nope. Not allowed to try to flog us. Not allowed to grab a pullet wing and not let go. So, I'm busy managing cockerels. I'll be out there at the first light of dawn to check on everyone and let Alice and Abby out of the strange coop they've never slept in before. I put them in with Lucy last night as she is the oldest and most docile of my hens. More work to do out there today, and hoping for a better go at it with the cockerels. Been reading everything I can on BYC about raising them. Here's hoping they will work out. :fl
Good morning Valerie!
Sounds like you have your work "cut out" for ya!

Good luck with your boy Val (I like his name)!
Thanks! I got Mad Hatter, Alice and Abby (originally Absalom) as week olds to help Pippi Longshot, a lone hatch, come into the world. Pippi also turned out to be a cockerel. He was upset yesterday too, and tried to flog me for the first time when I was carrying one of the pullets out. Both of them think I killed their girls. I'm so sad about that. But, I'll be out there at dawn to let everyone out where they can at least see each other.

View attachment 2004537
I had a DNA test done and it came back Visla/Staffordshire Terrior, but she looks so much like a Ridgeback that I want to do it again and see if I get the same result. I'm not so sure about those tests. In this picture, she is looking a bit confused because she doesn't understand why I was making her sit still. LOL She is not a photo hound.
She's lovely. She has that "Am I in trouble?" look.....I recognize it!

IMG_20200119_095333491.jpg

Tired after a fun filled morning of kill the stuffy and chew on the firewood.

Back
Top Bottom