BYC Café

Good morning Cafe. I'll not press the button on the pot I got started seeing as George was silently working in the kitchen while I was writing my update.

I've put out a plea (via two FB Poultry groups) to the local incubation nuts in my area to either incubate my hatching eggs or let me borrow a good incubator to incubate them myself when they arrive.
The two turds are letting me down. I had them locked in the ward for 2 days with the nest of fake eggs. Tonk initially showed interest but ultimately wouldn't settle in. I let them out late afternoon yesterday and found Jody cozied in on a batch of eggs in nest box 1! Jerk.
Their mother continues a slow, intermittent ticking but no signs of doing the deed.
I have a blanket over the end of the ward with the nest of eggs and left the door open hoping to entice someone to step up to the plate.
I figure if I have to set them in an incubator I still have that 3 week period where Astrid might go broody and I can let her finish the hatch for me or adopt the chicks like she did last year with Mommy Dearest's brood. :fl

Good afternoon everyone, and thanks for the coffee @sourland .
I've put out a plea (via two FB Poultry groups) to the local incubation nuts in my area to either incubate my hatching eggs or let me borrow a good incubator to incubate them myself when they arrive.
The two turds are letting me down. I had them locked in the ward for 2 days with the nest of fake eggs. Tonk initially showed interest but ultimately wouldn't settle in. I let them out late afternoon yesterday and found Jody cozied in on a batch of eggs in nest box 1! Jerk.
So let them brood in their chosen nest box and cover the access with chicken wire so they will not be disturbed by their flock mates. Letting them out once a day should suffice and as soon as they are back on the clutch, close with wire again.

Some broodies have very set opinions on where and how to to their thing.

Good afternoon everyone, and thanks for the coffee @sourland .

So let them brood in their chosen nest box and cover the access with chicken wire so they will not be disturbed by their flock mates. Letting them out once a day should suffice and as soon as they are back on the clutch, close with wire again.

It sounds like the two hens were not broody. Dobie was hoping that they would go broody by giving them eggs.

PITA! It's the Ward or nothing! I could always let them adopt if they keep this crap up long enough...

It sounds like the two hens were not broody. Dobie was hoping that they would go broody by giving them eggs.
Oh, they're broody alright. I've been breaking them left and right since spring. Once I finally relent and buy hatching eggs, THAT'S when they decide to knock it off... somewhat.
Every broody I've ever let set, locks on in the Ward. Not these two stubborn midgets.

This, and there are those 'midget' birds that bond/imprint more to the nest site than to the eggs.
Well all the big girls got with the program! The little girls will have to do it my way or they won't get to raise any babies and will continue to enjoy quality time in a wire crate.

Someone less than 5 mi from my house has offered to incubate the eggs. They arrive Wednesday. So if nothing else I'll have to brood and integrate the little buggers myself.
But I'm still hopeful Astrid will tip over the edge. The first year she went broody she did it in July. Last year she went broody in July and again in August.
Come on Broody Magician! Send a spell her way!! And don't miss and hit the rest of the girls like you did last year.

Back
Top Bottom