BYC Café

Be strong, and ready to hear a lot of cheeping.
Can you reach in to put them in the huddle box, if they don't go in on their own?
Oh, man are they cheeping!

Yeah, I can put them in, but I've already seen them going into it, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

I just went out to look in on them. They ran over to where I was and ran back and forth, like "mama, let us out of here!" So I came back inside...

My plan is to leave them in there for at least three days to "home" them. @aart, Is that long enough?

Then I was going to open the pop door and let them go out to their part of the run (fenced off for "look don't touch") whenever they feel like exploring, at their own pace.

I'm betting Stormy will be the first one out. She's the brave girl. (Please be all girls :fl!)

Oh, man are they cheeping!

Yeah, I can put them in, but I've already seen them going into it, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

I just went out to look in on them. They ran over to where I was and ran back and forth, like "mama, let us out of here!" So I came back inside...

My plan is to leave them in there for at least three days to "home" them. @aart, Is that long enough?

Then I was going to open the pop door and let them go out to their part of the run (fenced off for "look don't touch") whenever they feel like exploring, at their own pace.

I'm betting Stormy will be the first one out. She's the brave girl. (Please be all girls :fl!)
Are you trying to quarantine them? If so, they are not supposed to be in close contact for several weeks.

I'd wait maybe a week.
What does the passage between their coop and run look like?

Do you plan on doing 'tiny doors' between their safe area and the main coop?
How old are they?

I'd wait maybe a week.
What does the passage between their coop and run look like?

Do you plan on doing 'tiny doors' between their safe area and the main coop?
How old are they?
A week it shall be. Supposed to be rainy next week anyway, kids. Stay inside.

The passage between their part of the coop and what will become their part of the run is the pop door and its ramp. I'm going to get a cinder block to put under the end to lessen the angle. The adults use the people door.

IMG_1302.JPG

The safety door is cut into this access door. I have another piece of cardboard on the other side, with that drawn in shape cut out. I just need to take the solid piece off this side. I'll make a similar opening in the fence that will divide the run.

The Blue Australorps are 5 weeks old as of yesterday, but the Jubilee Orpington is a few days older.

How high is the drop? At their age they can EASILY fly up 2 feet. In fact tonight I watched one of my nearly 4 week olds fly to the 2' high roost and from there about 3' over and 2' up to the 4' high roost.
Orps are said to not fly as high but australorps fly fairly high.

Back
Top Bottom