BYC Café

Here is a pic lol
Screenshot_20210710-094441.png

We think it was a coon with babies so when they are older I will let be with the flock
Sounds like you need to start a thread in the coop and run forum for advice on beefing up security. Nothing should be able to get at your birds during the day unless you free range or otherwise do not contain them within a run and nothing should be able to get at the flock at night. Period.
I've never isolated a mother with her chicks. She is able to bring them into the flock when she's ready.

Sounds like you need to start a thread in the coop and run forum for advice on beefing up security. Nothing should be able to get at your birds during the day unless you free range or otherwise do not contain them within a run and nothing should be able to get at the flock at night. Period.
I've never isolated a mother with her chicks. She is able to bring them into the flock when she's ready.
Ok thanks that was awhile ago that she had chicks and we have made ALOT of changes to the coops to make them safer but I'm just being cautious lol

Good evening café and welcome aboard @Bird fanatic :)

Ok thanks that was awhile ago that she had chicks and we have made ALOT of changes to the coops to make them safer but I'm just being cautious lol
I can relate and usually keep my chicks and their broodies separated from the flock in their own broody coop with attached run in our garden close to the house. They still can be seen by the flock of adults and the roosters stay near for protection.

But we have raccoon infestations every year in addition to the aerial predators and nasty half feral cats. Although the broodies are experienced and very protective, they cannot be everywhere at the same time when another raccoon family decides to snack on the chicks.
Our property is too big to have it all secured with electric fencing, so we just covered the outer fence lines with 9.000-10.000 Volt electric fence and the most vulnerable parts with very durable fishing netting.

Last edited:
Morning Cafe had my coffee Funny BF wanted to repace the keys on my keyboard or let me use a different keyboard as I have keys missing worn off I type not looking .. He does not use my keyboard otherwise

The same here Penny, my keybord is hardly functioning anymore and I need to buy a new laptop, but still can't decide on the model. There are just too many options available nowadays, vastly overpriced and I don't need any gamer lap top or otherwise fancy specialties anymore. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom