BYC Café

Morning everyone.

Yesterday was an exercise in roller-coaster emotions.

After listing an art doll on Etsy (like Ebay for art)--and trying to be brave & list it at a price so I'll at least clear minimum wage after fees--I sold it in one day. So yay!

Then I looked at the financial statement for the sale, and Etsy had taken $82 out of the sale for "off line ads", saying the sale came directly from an ad the "placed on my behalf" so they get another 15% of my sale. But I have never asked for marketing, nor given permission for them to install this feature on my account--which they had done. I tried to cancel the sale, so they charged my credit card for over $100 in fees!

If the buyer will rebuy the doll, I can at least make 3/4 minimum wage for the work I have into it. If there was another viable venue for sales, I would leave Etsy in a heartbeat.

Sorry to rant. I think I gave myself an ulcer yesterday--so frustrated.

If the buyer will rebuy the doll, I can at least make 3/4 minimum wage for the work I have into it. If there was another viable venue for sales, I would leave Etsy in a heartbeat.
If I were the buyer, I most surely would...

I know how much time, energy, and love goes into things like that.

I had another hawk strike this morning. A red tailed hawk.
I heard the SWOOSH right outside the coop. I was inside dolling out raisins. Ironically, Fabio was outside instead of inside like usual and he sent up the alarm. I heard the commotion of birds running for cover then dead silence. I was running out the door during this. The only chicken I saw was Fabio. He stayed out in the open. All others had gone into the run then into the coop and the rest were under the chicken bush. No injuries this time.
I saw the hawk alight in a spruce across the road. I stared at it as I marched towards it across the pen. It flew one tree back. I kept going, pointed at it and started yelling and it flew off.
When I left for work 20 minutes later, still not a chicken in sight and not a sound from the flock.

Morning everyone.

Yesterday was an exercise in roller-coaster emotions.

After listing an art doll on Etsy (like Ebay for art)--and trying to be brave & list it at a price so I'll at least clear minimum wage after fees--I sold it in one day. So yay!

Then I looked at the financial statement for the sale, and Etsy had taken $82 out of the sale for "off line ads", saying the sale came directly from an ad the "placed on my behalf" so they get another 15% of my sale. But I have never asked for marketing, nor given permission for them to install this feature on my account--which they had done. I tried to cancel the sale, so they charged my credit card for over $100 in fees!

Sorry to rant. I think I gave myself an ulcer yesterday--so frustrated.

Those seem like exorbitant fees, sorry that happened!

I heard the SWOOSH right outside the coop. I was inside dolling out raisins. Ironically, Fabio was outside instead of inside like usual and he sent up the alarm. I heard the commotion of birds running for cover then dead silence. I was running out the door during this. The only chicken I saw was Fabio. He stayed out in the open. All others had gone into the run then into the coop and the rest were under the chicken bush. No injuries this time.
I saw the hawk alight in a spruce across the road. I stared at it as I marched towards it across the pen. It flew one tree back. I kept going, pointed at it and started yelling and it flew off.
When I left for work 20 minutes later, still not a chicken in sight and not a sound from the flock.

Glad you didn't have any injuries or loss to your flock Dobie!

We only free-range under supervision when we're out working in the garden because of all the aerial predators we have - red tails, eagles, coopers, and sharpies all live and nest in our area. They sit on the telephone poles right above the coop and run watching the flock on a daily basis. Our only loss to a predator in the last 5 years was a beautiful pullet to a red tail. So glad you didn't loose any.

Good morning! Thanks for the coffee, Shad! DL, now that Shad is back on coffee duty, I am glad that you get to guard your flock with Fabio! That sounds like a close one!
We have at least a week of sun on tap here and welcome to the Cafe, Offshoreorca!
HermitsGarden, that just seems like stealing and I know you work too hard to just give stuff away, hugs... Unfortunately that kind of backdoor fees are common on a lot of services. Please enjoy the day you all!

We've got our first hard frost on the ground.
We got hard stuff on the ground this morning as well. Not sure if it was sleet or hail but it came from the north, I heard it hitting the bedroom windows. It is still there given the temp of 33°F.

Good morning Cafe! Thanks for the coffee :) Just discovering this thread.
Welcome to the cafe!! DD1 looked at St. Mary's, decided on Mount Allison, she's in her senior year.

I heard the SWOOSH right outside the coop. I was inside dolling out raisins.
Wow, how fortunate that you were right there!

now that Shad is back on coffee duty,
I don't know. Shad, can you get decent coffee in the UK like you did in Catalonia?

Back
Top Bottom