BYC Café

Good morning Cafe and thanks for the coffee.

I've built a small fire to warm the house a bit more to hopefully speed up the last two chrysalises development. The next one up on deck is a boy. I hope to kick him out tomorrow afternoon. My nephew will have to deal with the last one. Oh well. Food for thought when I start raising them all season next year.

I've built a small fire to warm the house a bit more to hopefully speed up the last two chrysalises development.
I wonder if they'd even have emerged if they were in outdoor ambient temps?

Chilly here this morning, high 30's, wish I had worn gloves for choring.
Another broody in the nest last night, put her on roost, then was back in nest this morning.
She's now in a breaker crate.

I still haven't turned on the furnace. Supposed to be sunny and hit high 60's the next 4 days. I'll wait as long as possible, probably won't be too long.

Good morning and thanks for the coffee! We are supposed to get more rain tomorrow
and I feel for FL with the devastation happening. We get our winds for sure but not quite like that.
We had a racoon last night... I heard chicken noise at 1 AM and we bolted outside looking. The three hens and the chick were MIA. One chicken flew down towards the sheep and disappeared, one was on the deck and one was in the run. The others in the coop were up high and we were so confused as to what happened! I was thinking bobcat
as I put the deck chicken and the run chicken back into the coop. I think the deck chicken was a mamma hen and the chick and the other 2 were just gone. DH and I wandered around the place and then he spotted a racoon up on the hill. Oh no! We don't have raccoons around here. Spell check even said that I spelled the word wrong! The last one seen was 10 yrs ago. Maybe some good doer released the "poor" creature. Now we are loaded for sm bear and will maybe try to find a trap, but the good news is that, this morning, early, I heard the chick hollering and the three hens going bonkers, so I got up and found the chick way out in the garden area, caught it and returned the quad to peace and quiet. I don't know if we actually lost a chicken but the fence will be watered and fortifications made today for sure.
Seriously, thanks for the hot coffee!

Back
Top Bottom