BYC Spinning Fiber

Quote:
wink.png
, I get the "strength" part; as I stated above. I'm thinking the "whole different type, etc." - I'd just have to do it to get the point? Yes? No? I was wondering before going through the business of plying only to have to take it apart to wear my stuff here in hot FL.

Plying has several purposes as I've experienced:

Balances out single strands so that the have a more consistent overall thickness

Stregthens weaker strands

Adding an artistic flair to yarn depending on your materials used for plying and skill set. Type art yarn into the etsy search field if you're interested. Few of these are single strands. Plying can help you extert greater control on color, texture and design. It can also help customize a yarn to a certain project.

I'm pretty sure that plying doesn't take away or add a whole lot of extra warmth unless in your second and/or third strands you are adding a whole different kind of fiber (llama or alpaca for instance) and it's not worth unraveling past projects just to ply them. If they already work as is no reason to mess with them-that's my thinking anyway.

With that said, nice to meet all of you fiber spinners! We are a rare breed that keeps adding more and more to our ranks it seems :eek:) I have a lendrum wheel and I swear by it! I've been spinning since I was 12 or so and been crochet since 8 and knitting since 20. ADD got the best of me on the knitting front all those stitches at once!!
lol.png
I also raise a flock of registered Romney sheep. I love their wool and dispositions so much, they are very versitile sheep and their fiber is one of the best for beginner spinners (not that I'm one any more...) I also have a great guardian llama that gives me fiber too.

Last edited:
Hello Hucklekree,

Do you shear your own sheep? I You Tubed to see what is involved with shearing alpaca. Seems definitely doable. I dream of owing animals. I'm telling myself "All things in due time" . . . er aah, like NOW! I'd like: Jersey cow, alpaca x 2, chickens [free range], and a koi pond. DH wants peacock, rabbit, guinea, Boer goats. He says all that we want is doable on our small acreage.

Last edited:
Hello lyric!

Good questions here's the best answers I have

I do shear my own sheep occasionally. I sheared them all myself for the first few years but now that they are making money for themselves I do indulge in the professional shearer now and then to help me with the time factor. But I do like to keep my edge and so I usually shear a few.

Doable is a subjective term...
wink.png
but for the most part with the right materials and attitude (both yours and the animal's) it is a task that most anyone can accomplish. However, some words of advice from experience:

Do not plan on getting your first shearing session done within a timely manner. Whatever length of time you think it's going to take add at least an hour.

Do plan on shearing just one animal at a session until you become proficient. Pressuring yourself with multiple animals at a time will elevate stress levels in and you and subsequently the animals and will lead to mistakes.

Do consider your animal's temperment: are they a pain in your backside or do they roll over and pur when you see them? Do they mind being touched? There's going to be a whole lot of uncomfortable touching involved.

Do plan on worst case scenario (not that it will happen but just in case) and have some suture materials and blood stop powder handy. In all the times I've sheared I've only had to use blood stop for nicks nothing huge!

Do have at least one other person with a good back there to lend a hand. It's amazing how hours of bending over an animal can weaken a young spry person let alone someone not so young and spry.

I'm most familiar with sheep but I have a llama too and have tried to shear the bugger unmedicated once (from now on I shear when the vet comes and knocks him out for vaccinations and yearly check ups.) and what I've appreciated the most is having the right set of shears and the right type of restraint. For the record, I have tried restraints on the llama and that did not go well!! He's a biggun, does his job well and likes to be left ALONE.
tongue.png

I started out with kitchen shears (yeah, I'm that determined) when we had no money and no way of obtaining anything better. I tied them to a post and battled with them and the shears for five hours! Two shorn sheep and a sense of accomplishment later I'm glad, relieved, excited that I don't have to do that ever again.

Now, last but not least. Alpacas are a different animal altogether from what I have experience with. So as with all advice, take it for what it's worth but don't hold me legally accountable should some of prove to be untrue for you!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Absolutely! The one good thing is that hubby was raised on farms AND he has the sense to say we are starting out with chicken and the family cow.
wee.gif

Hey guys! I've been taking a spinning class and I think I'm going to purchase the Louet S17 wheel. Until then, I've been drop spinning a storm. My problem on both the wheel and drop spindle is that I spin thin and tight. I rarely ever drop the spindle or break any fiber, which is good.

I bought this batt on etsy and spun it up. It's hand dyed Merino with a tiny bit of angelina.

82602_spinning.jpg

I'm going to ply it with something else - possibly a wool thread. I figure it would look best if I plyed it with something as thin as it is or thinner.

I can see why this is such an addiction.

P.S....anytime I tell anyone else that I'm taking a spinning class, they say "Good for you! I have a few lbs to burn too, I should take that up." lol

The first time I heard that spinning was something other than fiber arts, I had to look it up on the internet. LOL!!

Your yarn is beautiful and I don't think it is too thin at all! If you ply that with itself, or cable-ply (Navajo ply) it, then it would be bigger than a worsted weight. I guess it all depends on how thick a yarn you're looking for!

What made you decide to go with a Louet?

Thanks, Cyndi!

As far as the Louet - At my LYS where I took the spinning class, she has tons of different wheels for sale. I tried most of them and I like the feel of the Louet. I realized that I like one treadle instead of two and I was trying between the Ashfords she had and the Louet S17. I wish she had other Louets so I could have tried them. I found that the treadle was smoother on the Louet and that it stopped and started easier than the Ashford. I also found that it "sucked in" the yarn ( I don't know the proper term for that) better than the Ashford did, even when I adjusted the tensions. I also liked how straightforward it was, without so many parts, how light it was and how large the bobbins are. ALSO, a big plus is that it's cheaper than all the others. When I was trying it, I thought it was MORE money so I thought to myself, man - I like the more expensive one again! Come to find out it's very reasonable.

I don't know when I'm going to be getting it, though. We're in the process of moving and our horse had a freak accident two days ago with a vet bill that could have purchased me four Louets. Grrrr.

Back
Top Bottom