CACKLE HATCHERY

I ordered from Cackle last week, I had not read this section before I ordered, but the reason I ordered from them is that I wanted RIR's and their site states " APA: -Yes, Recognized by the American Standard of Perfection" , while none of the the other hatcheries did, I'm not looking for anything of show quality by no means, but I do want the breed I am paying for. The other places seemed to me to have only the production line which are not RIR's even if they do look sort of like one.

We were just having a discussion about this in the heritage Rhode Island Red thread in the breeds section. Someone commented that Cackle Hatchery had pretty good looking Rhode Island Reds in the pictures, although still too red and not dark enough.

Hopefully the Rhode Island Reds you receive will grow up to look as good as those in the pictures.

The hatchery states that they lay 250 to 300 eggs a year. I think the Rhode Island Red is difficult to beat it you want brown eggs all year long, and if you plan to butcher the cockerels.

We were just having a discussion about this in the heritage Rhode Island Red thread in the breeds section. Someone commented that Cackle Hatchery had pretty good looking Rhode Island Reds in the pictures, although still too red and not dark enough.

Hopefully the Rhode Island Reds you receive will grow up to look as good as those in the pictures.

The hatchery states that they lay 250 to 300 eggs a year. I think the Rhode Island Red is difficult to beat it you want brown eggs all year long, and if you plan to butcher the cockerels.

I purchased 40 RIR pullets back in December just for that reason (egg laying). Now people are stopping by wanting to by them.

I bought my Dominiques from Cackle in 2010. Two chicks were "travel-weary" and I ended up losing one due to my own inattention to the matter, but the rest grew up and are beautiful. I do have one hen that has a single comb instead of the Dominique rose comb, but noticed another member on here has a pic of Doms and one of the hens has a single comb, too. So maybe just a recessive trait that sometimes comes out in them.... Overall, I was very satisfied with the transaction.

Here are some pics of my cochins, hajacking the thread here but are they good examples of the breed?

Well -no, they are somewhat lacking. Here are good examples of the breed-

http://www.cochinsint.com/uploads/8/8/2/1/8821267/pics_blue_bantams.pdf

http://www.cochinsint.com/uploads/8/8/2/1/8821267/pics_pa

Notice the difference in feathering and conformation. That is what it takes to be more than "just a Cochin". But if you like yours and they please you for your purposes then they are just great.

I hope they turn out well also, for now all I really wanted to do was get a small group of hens going, if it is something I really enjoy I may try to find a good breeder down the road.

I bought my Dominiques from Cackle in 2010. Two chicks were "travel-weary" and I ended up losing one due to my own inattention to the matter, but the rest grew up and are beautiful. I do have one hen that has a single comb instead of the Dominique rose comb, but noticed another member on here has a pic of Doms and one of the hens has a single comb, too. So maybe just a recessive trait that sometimes comes out in them.... Overall, I was very satisfied with the transaction.

In the past, the Dominique was the most popular breed in the United States. I think they are a good dual-purpose chicken.

I hope they turn out well also, for now all I really wanted to do was get a small group of hens going, if it is something I really enjoy I may try to find a good breeder down the road.

Maybe you could buy a rooster from a breeder and that could improve your flock to be closer to the standards of perfection. But the hatchery stock are probably better at laying eggs.

The Red Wattle Gang came from Cackle hatchery. While they are not SQ, they arrived on time, in good health, and they all survived.

Back
Top Bottom