California - Northern

Hello! Does anyone know of a duck/goose rescue in Northern Cali or, perhaps, know someone looking for a pair of Chinese Swan geese, two black and white Runner ducks and one Cayuga? We need to re-home them

I know there are a bunch of us Northern California types here (yeah, I'm talking to you).

Now, the question is where do we draw the line between North and South?
wink.png
tongue.png

This thread is sponsored by our great friends at Concord Feed!

Visit one of their five greater Bay Area locations: https://concordfeed.com/locations/

2_byc-feed-store.jpg
!

I'm in what I consider the North Eastbay - Martinez CA
My chickens originally came from Concord Feed
So I'm thinking I can post here :)

If anyone is still looking for a way to keep their chickens alive in this heat: One more tool I just figured out yesterday. I have large plastic cement mixing tubs that I use for dustbaths, and have tried to use before with some water and pavers to give them a cool place to stand on or even lie down, without having to be standing in the water - which they avoid like the plague. It didn't really work - the pavers didn't get very cool and the chickens rarely used it.
Then yesterday in my panic I bought a few large bags of ice to fill into buckets to place in the run. Moderate success, they didn't cuddle up to them, but some hung out near the buckets and no one died. When I dumped the buckets at night I found they still had a lot of ice in them, so I dumped it in the run. This morning most of it was still frozen, after a night that didn't dip below 90 before 9 o'clock or so...
Anyway, this morning I took one of those large pans, put in large pavers (taking up maybe half the floor area) and dumped a large bag of ice into the pan. I spread it out so none was covering a paver, and tadaaa! The chickens are using it! At least the smarter, more trusting ones are (of course the SFH, the SS and the BR ). They stand on the pavers and stop panting, at 105 F! Yipee! I have another bag of ice at the ready should this one all melt away...
Gaaahhh - I am soo glad that they are predicting the weather to become a bit more bearable tomorrow!

If anyone is still looking for a way to keep their chickens alive in this heat: One more tool I just figured out yesterday. I have large plastic cement mixing tubs that I use for dustbaths, and have tried to use before with some water and pavers to give them a cool place to stand on or even lie down, without having to be standing in the water - which they avoid like the plague. It didn't really work - the pavers didn't get very cool and the chickens rarely used it.
Then yesterday in my panic I bought a few large bags of ice to fill into buckets to place in the run. Moderate success, they didn't cuddle up to them, but some hung out near the buckets and no one died. When I dumped the buckets at night I found they still had a lot of ice in them, so I dumped it in the run. This morning most of it was still frozen, after a night that didn't dip below 90 before 9 o'clock or so...
Anyway, this morning I took one of those large pans, put in large pavers (taking up maybe half the floor area) and dumped a large bag of ice into the pan. I spread it out so none was covering a paver, and tadaaa! The chickens are using it! At least the smarter, more trusting ones are (of course the SFH, the SS and the BR ). They stand on the pavers and stop panting, at 105 F! Yipee! I have another bag of ice at the ready should this one all melt away...
Gaaahhh - I am soo glad that they are predicting the weather to become a bit more bearable tomorrow!

This is great! We've been at 110-111 degrees here and pretty much tarped the gated area to block most of the sun
I have a side nipple bucket for water so I threw in a few pre frozen bottles of water to make their water cold - then I literally watered down and area in the gated area around their coop. It created a small pond they drank out of until it soaked into the ground
Once that happened they dug up the moist dirt and rolled around and sat in it

Thanks for the tips btw

IMG_4207.JPG
Welcome!

Pleas post here. Do you have pictures?

You are going to laugh but I did make some post I believed to be here? Haha
I was under the impression I should introduce myself to the new local forum... it was quite a thorough post with photos but I have no idea where it is on this forum. So I'll post similar but if it shows up later somehow in this forum please excuse the redundancy

I'm in COCO county Martinez CA
Have three hens (hopefully)

ronott1 - if my EE/Americana turns out to be a Roo I'll let you know :)

I have one Lop layer named Gerta
One - EE Pullet- Elsa
One - Buff Rock Pullet - Ana

Three cats
The one in most of the photos is, Sir Quimby. He is a TICA champion Ragdoll (and yes I do cat shows )

I try to grow as much as I can in my garden for the chickens to eat
Sunflowers, corn, buckwheat, Clover and stick with non
IMG_4207.JPG
IMG_4223.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4272.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG

I'll post pics of the three chickens as they arrived in Quimbys show kennel his eyes are popping
He fancied himself a cowcat and ended up being a chicken herder

Ok

Im hoping this posts to the Northern California Forum

Question: Worming

Example http://www.dbcagproducts.com/produc...t=healthpack&utm_campaign=chicken_advertising

I was shocked to see how much pharma c$&p was being feed to the chickens I acquired and detoxed them
I only have three - I could understand how something like this could get out of control with a bigger population

For now I'm taking the natural route - am I delusional? My grandmother and her mother before her didn't use all that pharma stuff!
Please share your thoughts and remedies

washing hands before and after, controlling flies, keeping feet clean, picking up poop sooner than later to compost, using herbs in the bedding, occasionally use diatomaceous earth food grade
Using a recipe given to me by another chicken person locally that consists of crushed garlic (a proven antiviral etc) and apple cider to name a few

Again please share

Im hoping this posts to the Northern California Forum

Question: Worming

Example http://www.dbcagproducts.com/produc...t=healthpack&utm_campaign=chicken_advertising

I was shocked to see how much pharma c$&p was being feed to the chickens I acquired and detoxed them
I only have three - I could understand how something like this could get out of control with a bigger population

For now I'm taking the natural route - am I delusional? My grandmother and her mother before her didn't use all that pharma stuff!
Please share your thoughts and remedies

washing hands before and after, controlling flies, keeping feet clean, picking up poop sooner than later to compost, using herbs in the bedding, occasionally use diatomaceous earth food grade
Using a recipe given to me by another chicken person locally that consists of crushed garlic (a proven antiviral etc) and apple cider to name a few

Again please share
You are doing fine!

You can send a sample in for a float test to UC Davis before treating for worms--only if they find worms.

cahfs.ucdavis.edu

Check every six months to a year

Back
Top Bottom