California-Southern

Here is the link for the sale ad of the chicks, it shows vaccination schedule for all chicks. The Easter hatch ones will have the option to not vaccinate if you prefer. Just need to know what you want and a deposit for unvaccinated ones.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/874529/croad-langshan-assorted-chicks-for-sale-in-so-ca

Also, the Meet-up at my place will be moved to Sunday, May 11. Doors will open at 10am and close come dinner time. Bring your wares, feed, chicks and eggs. PM me for address and to RSVP please. Location is in city of Pomona at my home. Large covered patio (bigger than most 2 car garages) and large grassy backyard. My chickens are not ranged on lawn and are kept in their chicken yards. If you have a friendly enough dog (I have a dog and cats) they are welcome to come along. Bring your own food and beverage, though I will have ice water on hand.

I'm trying to work around my sons baseball games. Well, I don't mind going to a meetup on Mother's Day. Sounds like a good day to me!

I was going off Carriebain's schedule. It's at my house, I am happy to spend a mothers day at a meet up if anyone wants to come. If not the only other option is Memorial Day weekend or the 31st..

Ok, this is for all the legal beagle member of BYC. This is my response the email I got from Norco. I would like to hear from Susan Maclean. All thoughts welcomed...
Robin,
This email is in response to your request for information regarding our events.
We are not an organized formal group. We are a group of individuals who plan a social event twice a year and enjoy raising farm animals such as rabbits, poultry, and goats. We raise these animals as a healthy alternative to the chemically treated foods sold in supermarkets. In addition, these animals provide a less expensive way to feed our families given the increasing cost of groceries today. Throughout the year many individuals breed these animals in order to increase the numbers of animals in order to sell or trade to others for different animals in return. We do not sell these animals for profit but we sell them in order to provide others with an inexpensive food source (meat or eggs), and to cover the cost of raising our animals. Many breed these animals as projects for their child’s school programs such as; Future Farmers of America (FFA) or the 4-H Club where these animals are entered into competitions then usually auctioned to offset the cost of raising such animals. We use these biannual meetings as a way for everyone to socialize with others from all areas of Southern California and to provide the possibility of obtaining a variety of different breeds of animals from those who want something special or different from their own, as a result, everyone has the opportunity to reduce the number of excess animals in their possession to guard against over populations.
The number of individual venders over the past 4 years ranges from about 10 to around 25. This past event on Saturday had about 25 venders and around 40 people all totaled. In addition, our event drew the attention of many people from the surrounding neighborhoods and businesses without the use of advertising, by word of mouth to those who communicate regularly on the internet. We would estimate approximately 100 to 150 people visited the event who just happened to notice our group in the park and many purchased or traded for some of the animals that we offered. We believe this had an added benefit to the surrounding businesses such as the new Tractor Supply store on Hamner which had its grand opening on the same day.
I have been in contact with the California Board of Equalization in regards to obtaining Seller/Vendor permits per the request by the City of Norco. Given the provisions that we raise, breed, sell or trade a food item such as poultry, rabbits, and goats/sheep which are non-taxable food items, per the requirements for Selling/Vendor permits, we would be exempt from needing such permits. Those individuals who attend our event who actually operate as a company would already have a business license and would be required to obtain a Vendors permit.
We welcome all inspections from any of the City departments in order to ease any concerns the city may have regarding these events. Furthermore, given the fact that we have had many successful events over the past four years at this location without any known problems or negative feedback we are confident that continuing our events at this location would benefit both the City of Norco and its residents. In addition, upon the successful inspections and inquiries from all departments we ask that our event be placed on the Cities Event calendar for an agreed upon number of years in the future which could be terminated by either party at anytime. We would also agree to provide the appropriate funds for renting the facilities at Neal Snipes Park and any additional fees required by the City. However, we ask that these fees and the possible need for a Norco Business License, if possible, be waived for our not-for-profit social gathering.
We hope this has addressed all your questions and concerns. We look forward to hearing from you soon so we can start planning for our next meeting in October. We also look forward to a beneficial relationship with the City of Norco for years to come.
On behalf of the many backyard farmers in the Southern California area, we thank you for your consideration of this matter.
Richard Holland

expensive feed lol

I need to call my friend see if she really wants it
My feed prices are horrible In lakewood! $25- for a 50lb bag of food!

$25 for a bag of feed is about what we pay in Del Mar. Wish I could find it cheaper but that is pretty standard and is not even organic.

I read somewhere that it costs $7.50 in feed to raise a chick to laying age.
How much it actually costs will depend on where you are and how much waste you prevent. Of course it also takes time, bedding and energy, and egg cost, but even so it may be hard selling unsexed chicks for that much, especially when feed stores sell chicks sexed for $4.

Last summer I could not get $25 for 14 week old cream Legbar Pullets and sold the lot off to a guy at $14 each as I did not have room to keep them and I am limited to 25 birds.

I find most people just want a female chick. Hopefully there is a good market for chicks in Lakewood!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom