California-Southern

Yesterday a pullet started laying. Possibly the ugliest egg ever but it is my very own Double Yolker!!!!!!!
It actually looks like 2 eggs smushed together with a seam between them!

yeeeshhh, and yikes!

Here's one I found on New Year's Day which set a high mark for the rest of the year,
(sorry if you've seen this already, and I marked Kg all over the place, but it is really grams..)

yeeeshhh, and yikes!

Here's one I found on New Year's Day which set a high mark for the rest of the year,
(sorry if you've seen this already, and I marked Kg all over the place, but it is really grams..)

That is a monster egg - OUCH!! What laid it?

Love the color of your ? marans egg

I don't have a scale but mine is huge, even half would be a huge first egg. The hen is cream legbar x croad langshan.

That is a monster egg - OUCH!! What laid it?

Love the color of your ? marans egg

I don't have a scale but mine is huge, even half would be a huge first egg. The hen is cream legbar x croad langshan.

Hi Phage, I'm glad you're girls are contributing to the project =) Have you posted pics of your hybrid CL hen/pullet? I'd like to see what she looks like. Who do you have her paired up with? What?! You have an MRI machine but no scale? =)

I've had EE's lay double yolkers in the 90g range, but this monster was popped out by a Brahma mix who probably didn't waste much time in the nesting box, she's always in a hurry to go somewhere!

Thanks for complimenting my FBCMarans egg.

btw - if the double yolker is laid by a pullet, does that in and of itself affect the viability of the offspring - either positively, because pullet offspring may run smaller anyways, or negatively, because pullet offspring may not be as hardy as the progeny of a mature hen (1-2 years old)?

Last edited:
Quote:
The hybrid pullet is about 23 weeks old. She is a HUGE bird. What is so strange is that she is jet black with black eyes. I would have thought she would have had more color. Anywho she is super friendly and a fav.

She is paired up with a Jill Rees Cream legbar cockerel (as his girls are not yet laying), so the babies will be mutts but 3/4 legbar. The egg is a strange green grey color - presumably due to the blue from legbar x "purple" from the croad.

Will take a pic of the pullet when I can. Yea, there is a gram scale at work so will weigh it when I bring it in.

I have not really had any problems with hatching healthy chicks from pullet eggs as long as they are not the super tiny first eggs. Also pullet eggs seem to ship much better than larger eggs, so always happy to see them in shipped eggs.

The hybrid pullet is about 23 weeks old. She is a HUGE bird. What is so strange is that she is jet black with black eyes. I would have thought she would have had more color. Anywho she is super friendly and a fav.

She is paired up with a Jill Rees Cream legbar cockerel (as his girls are not yet laying), so the babies will be mutts but 3/4 legbar. The egg is a strange green grey color - presumably due to the blue from legbar x "purple" from the croad.

Will take a pic of the pullet when I can. Yea, there is a gram scale at work so will weigh it when I bring it in.

I have not really had any problems with hatching healthy chicks from pullet eggs as long as they are not the super tiny first eggs. Also pullet eggs seem to ship much better than larger eggs, so always happy to see them in shipped eggs.
Looks like you won't have any problems with tiny pullet eggs!

I would love to see a purple Croad egg in person…do you have a corresponding hen? I'd also like to see the inside color of one of those eggs as well. umm, does your CL Roo "match up well" if she is that huge?

On shipping eggs - do you think it is because the shells are thicker on the pullet eggs? or the content of the egg holds together better?
For the Marans, I think it may be beneficial to hatch eggs from older hens i.e. with thinner shells. Any opinion/experience with that particular breed?

I would love to see a purple Croad egg in person…do you have a corresponding hen? I'd also like to see the inside color of one of those eggs as well. umm, does your CL Roo "match up well" if she is that huge?

On shipping eggs - do you think it is because the shells are thicker on the pullet eggs? or the content of the egg holds together better?
For the Marans, I think it may be beneficial to hatch eggs from older hens i.e. with thinner shells. Any opinion/experience with that particular breed?

The croad cross was "an accident" and I don't have any croads.

I think the contents of small eggs are subject to smaller physical forces during rough PO handling, and so stand up better to shipping.
Most important though to withstanding shipping is how fresh the egg is, as the protein begins to break down with age, allowing the contents to move around more. Just as you see in older eggs when the albumen becomes less firm with time.

Never really had a problem with marans eggs hatching, and certainly have had great hatch rates of large shipped marans eggs.

Hello. Im new to southern Cali and am int in starting a small flock with heat hardy birds, maybe wellsummers or easter eggers. I could use some advice on breeds in the desert and supplies. I have a building to keep them in. And also any ideas on no kill hatcheries or people in rhe area that i could get from? Laws? Ty!

Where in the desert are you? Our Easter Egger/Ameraucanas are pretty heat hardy, but so are Silkies. Keep in mind shade, ventilation, and defense against predators. Plenty of hungry critters out there.

Im in Borrego actually. I did have my eyes on silkies as well. I didnt realize roadrunners would eat chicks if they got the chance. Im aware of the coyotes.
And will have to build our run accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom