CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

I have a home made incubator and every other egg was fine, it was only a couple of polish that had the curled toes. It happens, everything I've read says not to use those birds for breeding stock and they'll be fine even if you didn't fix it youngest

I have a home made incubator and every other egg was fine, it was only a couple of polish that had the curled toes. It happens, everything I've read says not to use those birds for breeding stock and they'll be fine even if you didn't fix it youngest

I have hatched some breeds that are prone to curly toes. I haven't had to deal with that yet.

I have 130 egg incubating now, so I might get some curly toes with numbers like that....

I can't even find words. Olivia was so upset when the kids were small and she had to leave school. Her very first grandbaby was born Dec 16, my little Elias. We had 4 generations there. Yeah I was the oldest one. LOL It was the best surprise I've had in so long and she's beaming after getting through this part. She's attending one more school in Stockton and then starting at a UC when that's done. She was accepted at Davis years ago and like her mother, didn't go. Well, I started. She really wants to go to UC Santa Cruz. I've wanted to live there since I was a little girl and she has too. We spent a lot of time there when they were growing up and in Half Moon Bay, but where do I end up? Modesto! Wish I could afford to move there myself, but I guess that's where she's looking to buy next.

I was thinking my 8 Silver Phoenix chicks were all pullets. I really want a nice roo to keep and I took a look today and I have at least 3 cockerels. 2 are still just feathering in some, so nothing on their chests to show me. Not that great with my Phoenix. But so far 3 pairs!!!! Yay!!!! This will give me the chance to find out just which one to keep or if they turn out great, I may keep them all. LOL I love my Phoenix. Except for one thing that is. My girls hatched these out, gave me a couple of eggs and went broody again. At least the fattened up during their rest. I took their eggs out and stuck eggs from some of my pens under them. My incubating abilities seem to suck these days, so hoping they can get me the chicks I need for myself and I'll just sell eggs as I go instead of chicks. No Marans under them until they are all laying pure again, but I did stick a lot of AMs and Wellies on there, so hoping they can get them out for me.

Another bad hatch, but I got this chick yesterday. Humidity issues again. My house was so humid, it was unreal and it screwed everything up
hit.gif
But I got this guy and he's already at his new home.

I Had bad luck with my rabbits too. I had bred 4 does and they were all due the 30th. The first one had one kit and it was her first litter. She gave birth on the wire and I found it dead. Then I figured I better move my other doe that wasn't in the same type cage, into a kindling friendly one. Tried all night to warm up the babies and when they were all warm and wiggly I went to bed. Two were dead the next morning and they other 2 were doing great and one night the doe decided to use the box as a litter box. My babies were dead and just nasty. And this wasn't a first litter. So I thought the other 2 might also kindle early, but they didn't. One had zip!!! And yeah she used her box as a litter box too. BUT!!!!! On the 30th these little buggers were born. This is their 5 day pic.
love.gif

Three little grey ones and a white. Mom is a Rex and Daddy is a REW Lionhead. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Said I've had a lot going on. I had no idea what I was even doing things for and what all the excitement was about.

I had to leave a link to a thread I have, so you can all see why my kids had me going nuts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-little-had-such-an-amzing-day-yesterday/0_20
This is a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing, I love hearing about people like this. A friend of mine is similar and has always been my hero. Your daughter is inspirational.

Quote: Can't wait to see pics! Are they LF or bantam?
I haven't had much problem with the curled toes but in the last year I've had 3 cross beaks. I know it's coming from a brown egg layer and those are all from the feed store and their feathers are a mess no matter what I feed them so I'm not hatching any brown eggs right now.
Said I've had a lot going on. I had no idea what I was even doing things for and what all the excitement was about.

I had to leave a link to a thread I have, so you can all see why my kids had me going nuts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-little-had-such-an-amzing-day-yesterday/0_20
Kim, this is such a hearwarming story.....I can only imagine how proud you are! I haven't met you and you don't post many pictures but I think your daughter looks just like you!!!! What a beauty and a smart cookie too!!! So happy that you had all your kids together.
love.gif

I was thinking my 8 Silver Phoenix chicks were all pullets. I really want a nice roo to keep and I took a look today and I have at least 3 cockerels. 2 are still just feathering in some, so nothing on their chests to show me. Not that great with my Phoenix. But so far 3 pairs!!!! Yay!!!! This will give me the chance to find out just which one to keep or if they turn out great, I may keep them all. LOL I love my Phoenix. Except for one thing that is. My girls hatched these out, gave me a couple of eggs and went broody again. At least the fattened up during their rest. I took their eggs out and stuck eggs from some of my pens under them. My incubating abilities seem to suck these days, so hoping they can get me the chicks I need for myself and I'll just sell eggs as I go instead of chicks. No Marans under them until they are all laying pure again, but I did stick a lot of AMs and Wellies on there, so hoping they can get them out for me.

Another bad hatch, but I got this chick yesterday. Humidity issues again. My house was so humid, it was unreal and it screwed everything up
hit.gif
But I got this guy and he's already at his new home.

I Had bad luck with my rabbits too. I had bred 4 does and they were all due the 30th. The first one had one kit and it was her first litter. She gave birth on the wire and I found it dead. Then I figured I better move my other doe that wasn't in the same type cage, into a kindling friendly one. Tried all night to warm up the babies and when they were all warm and wiggly I went to bed. Two were dead the next morning and they other 2 were doing great and one night the doe decided to use the box as a litter box. My babies were dead and just nasty. And this wasn't a first litter. So I thought the other 2 might also kindle early, but they didn't. One had zip!!! And yeah she used her box as a litter box too. BUT!!!!! On the 30th these little buggers were born. This is their 5 day pic.
love.gif

Three little grey ones and a white. Mom is a Rex and Daddy is a REW Lionhead. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
Eiy, yi, yi....what a mess with the kits! So glad you got the three after all that. And that little silkie is a cutie!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom