calling any one from missouri

View attachment 1097462
Some are predicting that the highways will be impassable even a day before..you may not be able to get to work.... They say fill your gas tanks beforehand, and bring water, food, in case you are stranded.
No one really knows, but anywhere along the line will probably be deluged with people converging upon them from all over, driving in, flying in, etc.
Unless it's cloudy....:p

Are these the same people that said the world was going to spin into chaos with Y2K?

Are these the same people that said the world was going to spin into chaos with Y2K?
Ha! Well, people do flock to areas to see eclipses, and most totality towns across the nation are expecting a deluge. We don't know, do we, it hasn't happened here before. If the weather is clear, my DH wants to drive 3 hours north up highway 13 to experience it. Why? I asked, we are in the 95% zone...and he said, "because unless you are in the 100% zone, you will not be able to see the gossamer, subtle corona, over 2 million degrees but invisible except at totality or with specialized astronomical equipment." He said in an email to our daughter who lives in a 99% zone in OR, "I am going to see the eclipse in totality. It is a far greater beast than a partial eclipse which is what 99% is. If I were out there, I would go at least into the totality zone if only for a number of seconds. At totality you can remove the glasses and see the corona."
So anyway, there are astronomy kooks like him, who will crowd into these areas and it may get crazy.

We went to the Ozark Empire Fair today instead of Sat because of heavy rain predicted for tomorrow. So we'll miss the open poultry show, but we got to see the entries for the junior show. Lots of kinds of bantams. I love bantams. In standards, there were cochins, polish, favorelles, phoenix...others too, but no marans.
View attachment 1101726
The high point of the day was seeing this sable sanaan dairy goat with a heart on her forehead. (That and getting Pineapple Whip) The low point was when a Haflinger filly kicked the judge and knocked him to the ground. He did get up...I think she got his arm, you could hear the smack. Yikes. This was the halter class, he had walked behind her.
View attachment 1101728

It did rain. And rain and rain and rain. The chickens ended up getting out early. 3:00 instead of 8:00 p.m. I learned me a few lesson about chicken showing, though.
A judge from a previous show gave me some tips on breeding my Marans and really liked this particular hen I had. Well, the judge for this show didn't. He got in a hurry, and didn't even pick them up. My rooster was laying down the whole time. He placed my best hen last of my group.

On the lighter side of things, I got to watch some of the old hats prep their bantys. They used Olive oil as a finishing spray. Anyone ever heard of this? It sounds a lot less greasy than show sheen....

HI, have been missing this week.. simply busy. Goats can be ornery, used to have them. Sorry about the judge who was in such a hurry. I heard last week that the hotels in KC metro are pretty much booked for the eclipse day. I won't get to watch unless my break happens to be at the right time; will be stuck in a downtown building. Since we are an incoming call center for servicing mutual funds and the stock market will be open we have to work through it.

This second deluge of rain has meant no progress on the coop. I have a vacation week coming up beginning next Sat. so hoping on getting it completed. Chicks are growing, changing daily and the EE's are getting interesting feathers. With the busy week they haven't had lots of attention except making sure they are OK and of course food and water.

Hi all.New to the thread. I live in Lebanon Mo,(Mid state, between Springfield and Rollo.
I had ducks for a couple years but don't them anymore. I decided to get me some chickens and breed me a more meaty mix breed if possible.
Starting out with Light Brahma, White Rock, Dark Cornish, Delaware, and a black silver lace wyn. May add Chanticleer next year if these do well.
Can't wait to see the crosses from all these to Brahma rooster.
I also have a pair of Pilgrim geese and ooodles of other pets.

Glad to meet you all. :)

Hi all.New to the thread. I live in Lebanon Mo,(Mid state, between Springfield and Rollo.
I had ducks for a couple years but don't them anymore. I decided to get me some chickens and breed me a more meaty mix breed if possible.
Starting out with Light Brahma, White Rock, Dark Cornish, Delaware, and a black silver lace wyn. May add Chanticleer next year if these do well.
Can't wait to see the crosses from all these to Brahma rooster.
I also have a pair of Pilgrim geese and ooodles of other pets.

Glad to meet you all. :)

Howdy neighbor! I'm in Camdenton. I go to the MFA in Lebanon regularly to stock up on the egg producer crumble, gamebird feed, and grains. Such amazing prices! Glad to see another BYCer so close to me :)

Hiya Bullets! Yep,you're definitely a neighbor lol. Yeah I agree the MFA does have good prices on their feed.
Is that all your breeds in your signature? Or are ya hiding out some more feathered treasures? lol

Reminder, MO state fair in Sedalia begins tomorrow as does the poultry judging. I think I've talked my DH into going, weather permitting. It looks like rain will be light and mostly in the pm. Also, if we read the info correctly, admission on opening day is only $4..Sunday is free for military and veterans, $1 for spouses.

Reminder, MO state fair in Sedalia begins tomorrow as does the poultry judging. I think I've talked my DH into going, weather permitting. It looks like rain will be light and mostly in the pm. Also, if we read the info correctly, admission on opening day is only $4..Sunday is free for military and veterans, $1 for spouses.

Yes $4 admission tomorrow.
Poultry will only be there from tomorrow thru Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom