calling on the experts on HUMDITY

thanks

The two chicks seem to be breathing rather hard. They are both still wet. The third egg still only has a pip. I know it can be awhile between pip & zip but this waiting is killing me. One piped last night and did nothing, the next morning it was the other egg that hatched rather quickly. So with this new pip I know I shouldn't worry so but I can't help it.
I was worried the humidity was hard on the two chicks. I would hate to loose them.

thanks

The two chicks seem to be breathing rather hard. They are both still wet. The third egg still only has a pip. I know it can be awhile between pip & zip but this waiting is killing me. One piped last night and did nothing, the next morning it was the other egg that hatched rather quickly. So with this new pip I know I shouldn't worry so but I can't help it.
I was worried the humidity was hard on the two chicks. I would hate to loose them.
Well they are exhausted to some extent. I had an egg that pipped and then 3 others hatched before that one. It took almost 36 hours for that one to come out but it did and boy was that little bugger tired. I hope you do not have to wait that long.
It is so FRUSTRATING!!!! but I too am addicted. I have three in the bator from a hen of mine that recently died so I do hope they hatch out, only half way thru right now but so far looks good.
Keep us posted and just keep the humidity high enough for the hatch but not crazy high. Hope the third is out SOON.

Just went back and read all the posts on "from pip to zip" and I could be in for a long wait. Some said that from the pip to zip can be 12 hours!

Also on other threads they say to leave the chicks in until they are dry. With 70% humidity that may take awhile.

Meanwhile I hate to see those chicks on that wire. They are both chirping so I take it as a good sign. I need to set up and warm a brooder. I had wanted to put them under my hen but she is still sitting on her eggs.
Setting up my brooder should help keep me from having my nose stuck to the glass! I am worse than the grandkids. I think this is something they will laugh about later.

Hard breathing for a brief time can be just from the exertion from hatching, but if it continues the chick is either too warm or needs more air. It is safe to lower temp a degree or so. Also, check how your vents are set!

Once I have chicks out of the shell I like my vent open! I once read somewhere on this forum that "a chick can survive less humidity, but they can't survive lack of oxygen." (Sorry I don't remember who said it or I would give them credit, but it was direct and to the point.) So, while I like it to be plenty humid during a hatch I do not sarifice oxygen to get there.

I've had chicks wait over 24 hours before zipping. Most are faster, but some just take their time. I sometimes think they do it just because they know it drives us nuts!!!
wink.png

I added some water to the chamber and brought my humidity up to near 50%.  I candled again last night and the air sacs looks fine....not too large like they lost too much and there was plenty of veining and movement.  I too have a postage scale and thought it was pretty accurate and I am confused at the weight loss noted but I am just going to hope for the best.

Add some water and raise your humidity (in my opinion) - I dont think it will hurt any.
I added water and the humidity is up to 45%. I used hot water but the temperature dropped to 98.2 F with the higher humidity. I adjusted the thermostat and got the temperature back up to 99.5 F again. As soon as I turn the unit though, the temperature drops by about half a degree as the humidity goes up another 5% or so. It's interesting the dynamic between temperature and humidity. I wonder if the eggs are affected by the temperature fluctuations. I read that temperature is most important so I wonder if adding water was the right thing to do. I guess I will find out soon enough.

I added water and the humidity is up to 45%. I used hot water but the temperature dropped to 98.2 F with the higher humidity. I adjusted the thermostat and got the temperature back up to 99.5 F again. As soon as I turn the unit though, the temperature drops by about half a degree as the humidity goes up another 5% or so. It's interesting the dynamic between temperature and humidity. I wonder if the eggs are affected by the temperature fluctuations. I read that temperature is most important so I wonder if adding water was the right thing to do. I guess I will find out soon enough.
did you open the lid to add the water. I found that if I get a flexi straw and put it thru the vent hole (flexi side in unit) and then aim that at the chamber (took me a little to get accurate at that) then I do not need to open the lid and the temp stays consistant. I use a bulb dropper to add water into the straw. I only add water that is warm to the touch.
If the temp drops just to 98.2 for that short amount of time then you should not have a problem as the chickens do get up off the eggs to eat get water and dust bath for a short time and their eggs must cool off just a drop until they get back on.
My readings do not change when I turn wonder why yours do. When are you planning on candling?? have you yet?

Hard breathing for a brief time can be just from the exertion from hatching, but if it continues the chick is either too warm or needs more air. It is safe to lower temp a degree or so. Also, check how your vents are set!

Once I have chicks out of the shell I like my vent open! I once read somewhere on this forum that "a chick can survive less humidity, but they can't survive lack of oxygen." (Sorry I don't remember who said it or I would give them credit, but it was direct and to the point.) So, while I like it to be plenty humid during a hatch I do not sarifice oxygen to get there.

I've had chicks wait over 24 hours before zipping. Most are faster, but some just take their time. I sometimes think they do it just because they know it drives us nuts!!!
wink.png
Okay, I thought about that with the vents closed while I was driving my grandkids home. I got back and both chicks are okay, but still wet since around 8am. I went out to set up a brooder & checked on my hen (she had 3 eggs this morning) and right next to her was a perfect, beautiful, healthy, and very dry chick. So I made the executive decision to take my two out of the incubator and give them to her. She accepted them and they are with her now. I still have one in the incubator with a pip that is a few hours old.

Julliet and her Mille Fleur d'uccle chick

My two bator hatched chicks.

My sweet little broody took them and tucked them under her. I can hear chirping so I guess all is well. She has taken chicks before that she hasn't hatched. She just loves being a Mommy. She still is sitting on one d'uccle egg and one of her own. I have one d'uccle with a pip still in the bator.
Right now after all my worry I am thrilled to have 3 chicks! I really do feel like I hit the lottery

Okay, I thought about that with the vents closed while I was driving my grandkids home. I got back and both chicks are okay, but still wet since around 8am. I went out to set up a brooder & checked on my hen (she had 3 eggs this morning) and right next to her was a perfect, beautiful, healthy, and very dry chick. So I made the executive decision to take my two out of the incubator and give them to her. She accepted them and they are with her now. I still have one in the incubator with a pip that is a few hours old.

Julliet and her Mille Fleur d'uccle chick

My two bator hatched chicks.

My sweet little broody took them and tucked them under her. I can hear chirping so I guess all is well. She has taken chicks before that she hasn't hatched. She just loves being a Mommy. She still is sitting on one d'uccle egg and one of her own. I have one d'uccle with a pip still in the bator.
Right now after all my worry I am thrilled to have 3 chicks! I really do feel like I hit the lottery
congrats on the chicks!!!!

did you open the lid to add the water.  I found that if I get a flexi straw and put it thru the vent hole (flexi side in unit) and then aim that at the chamber (took me a little to get accurate at that) then I do not need to open the lid and the temp stays consistant.  I use a bulb dropper to add water into the straw. I only add water that is warm to the touch.
If the temp drops just to 98.2 for that short amount of time then you should not have a problem as the chickens do get up off the eggs to eat get water and dust bath for a short time and their eggs must cool off just a drop until they get back on. 
My readings do not change when I turn wonder why yours do. When are you planning on candling?? have you yet?
I did take the lid off to add water. Thanks for the straw idea to add water. I will do that from now on. Yes, I candled them last night. Three were infertile, the rest showed development. In most, I could see the embryos moving and so they were doing well as of last night. I hope I won't mess them up with this humidity experiment. I checked a few this afternoon and didn't see any movement. I am a little worried. I used hot water. I hope I didn't cook them.

I did take the lid off to add water. Thanks for the straw idea to add water. I will do that from now on. Yes, I candled them last night. Three were infertile, the rest showed development. In most, I could see the embryos moving and so they were doing well as of last night. I hope I won't mess them up with this humidity experiment. I checked a few this afternoon and didn't see any movement. I am a little worried. I used hot water. I hope I didn't cook them.
how could you cook them if your temp did not rise - LOL
sometimes I cannot see movement and then I panic as well. Take it easy. Yeah the straw thing is OK - I figured that one out when I was suppose to be on lockdown during my hatch and kept hearing DONT OPEN THE LID. It takes quite a few droppers full sometimes to get your humidity back up if you have let it lapse but it is better than opening lid. Also on lockdown I have seen some people just prior put sponges (cut to fit) in the channel(s) to keep humidity at the higher level. Once I had filled the channels on my last hatch...it was hard for me to keep humidity up. It seemed as though I was always having to add water so I may try the sponge thing in one channel this time out.

Back
Top Bottom