Can I get some help from someone with careless neighbours who own dogs.

Pics
Good fences make good neighbors. I have a neighbor with a completely loose, annoying dog. But all of the rest of us have fences to keep him out and no one is talking about killing him, giving him to someone else or dropping him at the pound. Even my own dogs pounce on my run until they are Chicken trained. The neighbor dogs don't have the benefit of bieng chicken trained. Therefore the solution is good fencing. It's not like Corgi's legs are going to jump over your fence.

I would never in a thousand years kill the dogs. We had a neighbor with three dogs (Two corgis and one bull mastiff.) and they were constantly getting out and bugging us. It wasn't their fault, it was the owners fault for constantly being careless. I would suggest scaring them off with the hose (jamesthesilkie) or building a fence around your yard to keep them out. But please for the love do not kill them.

Will my German shepherd stay away from an electric fence, he’s 8 years old and I don’t want him hurt
He will probaby get shocked once, possibly twice, and be careful after that.

Depending on how well trained he is, you may be able to point out the fence and tell him to leave it alone. If he will respect that, he may never get shocked.

If the fence has a way to change how much power goes through it, you could set it for a low amount, let your own dog learn, and then set it to whatever is appropriate otherwise. (I don't know whether electric fences have a control for that or not.)

Also can I electrify the fence in between mine and their yard if they have little kids that go outside without shoes lots
That does sound like a potential problem.

Maybe you can put an electric fence around your chicken pen (maybe a few feet away), so it keeps the dogs from barking & running right next to the pen. That's not as good as keeping the dogs entirely off your property, but it would still keep them from bothering your chickens as much, and would be a bit further away from the kids.

Electric fencing is great, if installed correctly, and LEGAL where you live! Small children next door too? Be careful about this, or anything you do.
Safe coops and runs are necessary to protect your chickens from predators besides the neighbor's annoying dogs, and as mentioned, "good fences make good neighbors". Our animals are all fenced, and home, and we expect our neighbors to do the same. A rare escapee happens, but it needs to be very rare!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom