Can I scare hawks away?

Quote:
You got to be kidding right............. the CD thing has been proven many many times to be a farse/gimmick for those not wanting to do anything real to deter hawk attacks, it's waste of time not to mention having your yard look like Fred Sanfords yard LOL.
Seriously CD's are a worthless effort.

OK, then leave off the CDs and just run the fishing line. About 200 lb test is pretty good. Run it in a grid over your chicken pen. It will keep out the larger raptors and is hard for the human eye to see but readily discernable by raptors.

I know experienced people who swear by CDs. Maybe doesn't work 100%, but it is helpful.

So, OK, be helpful and tell us what real things do you do to deter hawks?

Last edited:
Quote:
Hawks take poultry, no matter the size.

If you want a useful rooster, get a Gamecock. Fast, athletic, super fliers and jumpers, and very protective. But in no way aggressive towards people.
smile.png

why have i watch hawks sit an watch my birds but never takes them we had a gamecock 4 years ago but a hawk flew of with him!

Again they'll take poultry no matter the size. Gamecocks too. I just mean that Gamecocks are good for attempting to fight off the enemy. It often doesn't work (he loses), but at least the main flock isn't hurt, with the distraction being on the gamecock. Also, the fight put up is usually a good once, and gives the predator an idea of what it is messing with.

A big bird is only useful as bait, really, because if the raptor can't carry it off, he'll just carry the head off.
wink.png
Sorry, but I've known plenty of people to lose ducks and LARGE chickens to aerial predators.

Could be part of the reason I haven't lost many to hawks. I have tons of Ameraucana Roosters !!!! I have this ability to hatch roosters here
sad.png
But the sly fox is not intimidated at all by them !!!

Quote:
I think you need to read a few posts back. It is against the law and you can face jail time and huge fines !!! Please check it out before you do that !!

Bird netting will do it for ya. Just put it up wherever the chickens are going to be, and the hawk won't be able to get through it. Also, crow noises freak the chickens out, but it works like a charm. Makes the hawks bolt!
lau.gif

Quote:

So, OK, be helpful and tell us what real things do you do to deter hawks?

A covered, secure, preditor proof run. easy peezy

Quote:
You got to be kidding right............. the CD thing has been proven many many times to be a farse/gimmick for those not wanting to do anything real to deter hawk attacks, it's waste of time not to mention having your yard look like Fred Sanfords yard LOL.
Seriously CD's are a worthless effort.

Wahullll... we strung them over a week ago and haven't seen a hawk since.

Oh, and they were circling over our covered run like vultures...matter of fact, they might have been.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom