Can I scare hawks away?

X10 on SSS.

Of course I don't think the city folk know what that is.

But seriously, throw a tennis ball in the air and shoot at it. Then do it again, then do it again, then do it again. Long after they are gone.

Then wait for them to return, And do it again.

Ain't nothing wrong with shooting a tennis ball.

After a few times they will relate those chickens to the pain in their ears and will GO AWAY. This works for Owls, Crows, Ravens. Eagles, all of them. The good part is, you will get good at hitting a moving target so when you are visited by a coon, mink or possum, you will roll em up like a dirty rug.

Ya Ya I know, its a FEDERAL crime to harass protected species. To hell with them, I'm SHOOTING AT A TENNIS BALL!!!

Quote:
So, OK, be helpful and tell us what real things do you do to deter hawks?

A covered, secure, preditor proof run. easy peezy

Well, now, that is just so true. Thank you for being helpful.

I've had a lot of problems with hawks in the past (as well as other predators) and have lost several hens and one rooster. I have a rat terrier that someone gave me about a year ago. At first, she kept digging up the yard and was really annoying because she is very yappy. But, she loves to be outside and patrols the yard all day. One day a hawk swooped down and was going to attack one of the chicken. She went crazy and went after the hawk! It was so freaked out that it turned the hen loose and flew off. Since then, she has taken to actively watching for them and runs after them as they dive in for the kill. They don't even get close enough to touch the hens anymore. She has managed to successfully stop several attacks. The hawks get totally flustered and break off the attack. Not every dog is suited to being around chickens and not killing them, but if you can find one that has a protective instinct for your chickens, you will stop losing them. I also planted a lot of tall grasses and bushes to give them some natural places to run and hide. They spend most of the day under these areas and since they aren't visible, the hawks don't go after them. I haven't lost a chicken to an attack since she came along. I just love her now!

bow.gif
when a hawk came after my chickens it got moved about 20 minutes away from my house. don't ever sss on a hawk! it's a federal crime!

Last edited:
Regardng the SSSers:

First, USF&W Cruises this forum frequently.

Second, you are encouraging illegal activity.

Third, there have been a few posts here regarding someone doing SSS with hawks. They were not reported by anyone, didn't have to be. Quite a few hawks these days are wearing tracking devices.

Quote:
I bet that you're part of the USF&W and are one of them. Hawks will always be a predatory nuisance to our flocks of chickens so therefore we really don't care because all natural avain predators to our chickens will eventually die off one day from either fatal airborn disease or starve to death from their natural food sources.

Quote:
And you know this how?

I know it's hard to imagine, but given that BYC's usercount is 108,662 individuals and growing, plus the number of guests that can log in and see this very large, active, and public forum, it makes sense that at least some members either are part of either a state or a federal fish and game department, have been in the past, or have family in such positions.

Respectfully, it'd be silly to assume that when looking for hawk poaching and illegal activity, that someone in such a position would not look at the internet's largest group of chicken keepers, given the history of chicken keeping and hawk shooting.

Back
Top Bottom