Can't push in horizontal nipples into PVC pipe... help please!

jbher

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Hudson, WI
I have 5 soloway horizontal nipples and I made my waterer yesterday. I'm using a 1" PVC pipe and I've seen others use the same thing with the same nipples. I drilled the holes exactly the size I read that I should (3/8). For the life of me (and my husband) - cannot get them in! We push and turn and push until our thumbs feel like they're going to fall off haha. Should I just drill the hole a little bigger? We can get them in half way and then they'll pop back out... so I really think the hole must be too small.

Jen,

I have not used these nipples a lot yet, but I have started testing them. One thing I noticed is the end that is inserted into the water source is actually threaded. So you push it as far as you can, then try twisting it in further. I know on my test setup, that is what I did. The nipples did not go all the way in flush, but do not leak and have not come out after about 1 week of use with the 8 birds that are using it.

You mileage may very and I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will happen along.

Good luck

Jen,

I have not used these nipples a lot yet, but I have started testing them. One thing I noticed is the end that is inserted into the water source is actually threaded. So you push it as far as you can, then try twisting it in further. I know on my test setup, that is what I did. The nipples did not go all the way in flush, but do not leak and have not come out after about 1 week of use with the 8 birds that are using it.

You mileage may very and I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will happen along.

Good luck 
Ok that's good to know yours aren't flush and don't leak. Maybe I just need to try to get them in as far as I can and then see what happens...

Using some clamps I got one flush but as soon as I release the clamp it pops out. I think I'm going to run to the store to find a T that I can screw it into. I think I've seen others do this too.

I have 5 soloway horizontal nipples and I made my waterer yesterday. I'm using a 1" PVC pipe and I've seen others use the same thing with the same nipples. I drilled the holes exactly the size I read that I should (3/8). For the life of me (and my husband) - cannot get them in! We push and turn and push until our thumbs feel like they're going to fall off haha. Should I just drill the hole a little bigger? We can get them in half way and then they'll pop back out... so I really think the hole must be too small.
Horizontal water nipples are to be screwed in....not pushed in. I hope you haven't ruined your threads on them...eek!

Horizontal water nipples are to be screwed in....not pushed in. I hope you haven't ruined your threads on them...eek!

I have been attempting to screw them in until I took the clamps out. I firmly try to push while turning them. Nothing happens - not sure why... even my husband tried screwing them in - they don't bite and pull in like one would expect. And I have only attempted a few. Even when I take a brand new one and try it still doesn't screw in. I'm at a loss
hmm.png

I have been attempting to screw them in until I took the clamps out. I firmly try to push while turning them. Nothing happens - not sure why... even my husband tried screwing them in - they don't bite and pull in like one would expect. And I have only attempted a few. Even when I take a brand new one and try it still doesn't screw in. I'm at a loss
hmm.png
I just thought of something! I seem to recall here on the forum some time back another guy was having trouble screwing them .... into 1-inch PVC pipe!! Seems the curvature of the tube is so 'tight' they don't want to screw in properly.

Try upping your pipe size to 1-1/2" .. I think you'll see a huge difference...just thinkin'
frow.gif

I just thought of something! I seem to recall here on the forum some time back another guy was having trouble screwing them .... into 1-inch PVC pipe!! Seems the curvature of the tube is so 'tight' they don't want to screw in properly.

Try upping your pipe size to 1-1/2" .. I think you'll see a huge difference...just thinkin'
frow.gif

Hmmm that's definitely a thought... one of the guides I was following used 1" pipe with his but who knows. I'm worried now I've flattened a few rows of the threads ugh. I have the whole darn waterer ready to go except the nipples. I left them for last thinking it was the easiest step.

Back
Top Bottom