Caponized roo personality

What a frustrating post to read...:barnie
I do caponizing. At home. Not for pets, for producing meat. The outcome of EVERY life - is death. Eventually. Nothing anyone does or does not do is going to change that.

With a little bit of experience, the odds of a cockerel bleeding out are about one in a hundred. I've lost three out of roughly 400 so far. You don't do it for pet use, because by the time you fall in love with that bird - that bird is most likely too old for the surgery. Depending on breed, it has to be done between six and twelve weeks of age.
Older than that does not really increase death rate - it increases failure rate. The older they are, the more fragile the testes is. It takes approximately three cells from a testes to re-grow tissue - if you break one, you will never get every cell out, and you have what is called a 'slip' - it will not be able to breed, but will re-grow testes tissue and produce testosterone - and you will have every other rooster behavior in spades. A normal LF adult testis is about an inch long. My first slip had a mass of testicular tissue the size of a golf ball - and man, was he obnoxious!

No, they don't feel pain from it - stop anthropomorphizing them. The incision is about an inch long, through skin in an area that has no muscle behind it. There are no sensory nerves in the interior organs at all. Like most prey creatures, they don't have the extensive skin nerves that you do. If they did, every predator attack would be fatal, because they'd freeze from the pain of the initial strike instead of trying to get away. They wear a hood during surgery so they can't see/react to things happening around them; this is to keep them still - and they are almost always perfectly still. After surgery, they're drinking and eating within minutes, and acting like nothing ever happened.

The capons you buy in the store are not neutered surgically; they're neutered chemically - ie: they're given estrogen.

Bantams really are not candidates; waaaayyy too small. It's already like removing a grain of rice through a coin slot in the dark, not something I'd want to do any smaller.

No, they don't crow. Or fight. (Alpha hens will beat them up if they're housed together) They are very mellow, they grow almost NO headgear, and their tail feathers grow about 50% longer than they normally would. They put on 20-50% more weight than an intact cock, most of it fat. The meat never gets tough, no matter how old.

What a frustrating post to read...:barnie
I do caponizing. At home. Not for pets, for producing meat. The outcome of EVERY life - is death. Eventually. Nothing anyone does or does not do is going to change that.

With a little bit of experience, the odds of a cockerel bleeding out are about one in a hundred. I've lost three out of roughly 400 so far.

No, they don't feel pain from it - stop anthropomorphizing them.

Thank you @GerbilsOnToast for posting your experience as someone who has actually performed this procedure, most of us are just guessing, many are anthropomorphizing, as you said, and we just don't know enough to make statements of our opinions like facts.

@GerbilsOnToast I actually have enjoyed this thread as it didn’t get usual “you’re all horrible chicken keepers” comments that we usually get.

I think the problem is that the normal backyard chicken keeper will never perform caponizations enough to get proficient. I do my own as well and can’t remember the last time I lost one but I’d never recommend someone learn with a bird they or their child was attached to. Not that I think that’s what was suggested.

The OP asked if this was a possible solution for her problem and I think that answer is yes but they need to know the risks and what it will entail for them and the possibility that they may not get the results they wanted if the procedure isn’t done properly or completely.

Thank you @GerbilsOnToast for posting your experience as someone who has actually performed this procedure, most of us are just guessing, many are anthropomorphizing, as you said, and we just don't know enough to make statements of our opinions like facts.
Not that that stops many:gig

This thread has brought some experienced folks out of the woodwork, which is nice to see.

Not for pets, for producing meat.
What breeds are you caponizing @GerbilsOnToast ?

Not that that stops many:gig

This thread has brought some experienced folks out of the woodwork, which is nice to see.

What breeds are you caponizing @GerbilsOnToast ?

Primarily Freedom Rangers, but I also do the excess roos from my Dorking and FBCM pens (we all know how popular excess roos are ;). This at least gives them a longer and better life than they'd otherwise have.)

There's no legally permitted use of estrogen type hormones in chickens in the USA. No birds are 'caponized chemically' here!
Mary
You appear to be technically correct - *In the USA*, there is only one commercial producer. However, most of what you are exposed to at your grocer is not from the USA. With the repeal of COOL, one never knows where it came from.

@GerbilsOnToast I actually have enjoyed this thread as it didn’t get usual “you’re all horrible chicken keepers” comments that we usually get.

I think the problem is that the normal backyard chicken keeper will never perform caponizations enough to get proficient. I do my own as well and can’t remember the last time I lost one but I’d never recommend someone learn with a bird they or their child was attached to. Not that I think that’s what was suggested.

i'm still try'na find that person doing two week olds that the write-ups talk about... egad! I cannot imagine how one would manage the spreaders on a cockerel that size - but perhaps the CornishX are considerably bigger at two weeks...

No, I wouldn't even consider it with 'love bird'. Nor would I consider doing it for someone - and I do get asked to on occasion. Too much unnecessary heartbreak.

Back
Top Bottom