Chantecler

photos from the adults Buff Chantecler....nearly year old rooster, OPA was his name.

He was the best rooster I've ever had. Doted so beautifully over his ladies. Wish he hadn't gotten mean with my husband, cuz hubby got mean right back at him and then he just got worse. I do miss him tho.

A rather slow thread, to clear up a point, re: the Partridge and White Chanteclers,

these were developed as two separate 'breeds',

the White first, by Brother Wilfred in Quebec, and then some years later the Partridge was bred at a university in Alberta for similar purposes, a cold hardy winter hardy chicken that would lay well in the winter. And it was called the Albertan.

Later the American Poultry Asociation for reasons known only to them lumped them both together under the name of Chantecler although they had no ancestors in common although a similar breeding program was followed to make both strains.

Later color variations have come from crossbreeding with other strains/breeds, i.e. Buff, and Red. These were not colors of either original bred varieties of the Chantecler.

From what I have been able to find out the Sand Hill Strain of the Albertan is a strong true breeding strain. I dont know about the Ideal.

I got 8 chantecler from a place in NS at a swap meet back in June. 6 are roosters. I'm wondering about their combs. I'm assuming a smooth cushion comb is proper, so what is with this other comb. Does this say they're bred with something else and not pure chanteclers? Just wondering...

Yup, a disqualification, shouldnt be used for breeding. The less comb the better, and this comb wont be less, more importantly it will breed on.

Nice looking Whites, wheres the Partridge?

I got 8 chantecler from a place in NS at a swap meet back in June. 6 are roosters. I'm wondering about their combs. I'm assuming a smooth cushion comb is proper, so what is with this other comb. Does this say they're bred with something else and not pure chanteclers? Just wondering...

The first rooster looks like he has a pea comb. Yes, it is a disqualification, and he shouldn't be used for breeding. However, despite the wacky comb, It is very likely that he is a pure Chantecler. The Chantecler comb type is called a Cushion. Cushion combs are actually a combination of the pea and rose comb types. This means that no matter how long you are breeding Chanteclers, some of the offspring with hatch with rose and pea combs. These birds should be culled.

I have heard of that but this is the first one I have seen, thanks for posting it. Ridding a line of recessives is a very slow process. If ever. But I wouldnt keep a rooster or hen who produces it. Combs are too fragile here in the north. And even with warmer winters we never know what is coming.

I have heard of that but this is the first one I have seen, thanks for posting it. Ridding a line of recessives is a very slow process. If ever. But I wouldnt keep a rooster or hen who produces it. Combs are too fragile here in the north. And even with warmer winters we never know what is coming.

Back
Top Bottom