Chantecler

I have heard of that but this is the first one I have seen, thanks for posting it. Ridding a line of recessives is a very slow process. If ever. But I wouldnt keep a rooster or hen who produces it. Combs are too fragile here in the north. And even with warmer winters we never know what is coming.
Very true! Sadly, in the case of the Cushion comb (and Walnut) it is a recessive that never goes away. You will always need to cull out these birds, granted there usually aren't very many of them, particularly when you keep culling. I would say I culled maybe ten chicks for comb type (both pea and rosecombs) this year, out of around 150.

How many posters do we have here who are in the northern states? I welcome our Canadian breeders of course, and especially their flock maintenence in their provinces. But, mail being what it is I am wondering on how many northern states breeders that there is just on the possibility of swapping stock. Thankfully Ontario is in reach for me, either through Port Huron or north of the UP . I'd do a five hour drive each way to get a dozen or so Albertan eggs. Food for thought. Hopefully by fall I'll be able to trade eggs with others.

At the moment I dont know of more then 4-5 Michigan flocks, I am hoping to get some 4H kids started next year with them, and my Icelandics too. I see them as in the best of the northern homestead flock breeds.

I forgot to add that I would really like to see some flocks get started in Alaska. There are several flocks now of Icelandic Chickens, and I think the Chantecler would be an excellent breed for Alaskan to have for homestead chickens.

I intend to keep records on how mine do in our northern Michigan climate, I expect that they will do well in Alaska also.

How many posters do we have here who are in the northern states? I welcome our Canadian breeders of course, and especially their flock maintenence in their provinces. But, mail being what it is I am wondering on how many northern states breeders that there is just on the possibility of swapping stock. Thankfully Ontario is in reach for me, either through Port Huron or north of the UP . I'd do a five hour drive each way to get a dozen or so Albertan eggs. Food for thought. Hopefully by fall I'll be able to trade eggs with others.

At the moment I dont know of more then 4-5 Michigan flocks, I am hoping to get some 4H kids started next year with them, and my Icelandics too. I see them as in the best of the northern homestead flock breeds.
I'm in PA, if that is northern enough. LOL. I am open to swapping :)

Last edited:
Yup it sure is north enough, far different from Ga and Louisiana !

Welcome to the thread, how many Chanteclers do you have ?
Oh my. LOL. My numbers really vary. I hatch a couple hundred in spring/summer, and usually cull down to 6-12 birds in the winter. How about you?

Last edited:
Looking forward to getting some hatching eggs of these birds. We had -18 temps this winter, of course my staright comb Marans roo has frostbite, so it will be nice to have a breed that is more cold hardy in that way.

They look to be big birds? How big are the white chanteclers? Anyone have pics of full-grown white hens/roosters?

Back
Top Bottom