Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

Pics
Good morning! I just got these two last night. They were sold to me as Ameraucanas, but I'm thinking they are EE. They are super scared and skittish right now, so I am hoping they calm down a little. They are in isolation right now, I wormed them and dusted them for mites. They are missing tail feathers and they are bald on their backs. I'm not sure if they were getting picked on by other hens or a rooster or both. They came from a big chicken farm.

Fingers crossed they calm down because they are pretty cute with their beards. :)

Good morning! I just got these two last night. They were sold to me as Ameraucanas, but I'm thinking they are EE. They are super scared and skittish right now, so I am hoping they calm down a little. They are in isolation right now, I wormed them and dusted them for mites. They are missing tail feathers and they are bald on their backs. I'm not sure if they were getting picked on by other hens or a rooster or both. They came from a big chicken farm.

Fingers crossed they calm down because they are pretty cute with their beards.
smile.png
Awww, poor things and they are so pretty! I rescued a terribly skittish hen year before last and eventually tamed her to the point where she was completely comfortable with me, but it took quite some time and patience. What I did was sit with her and talk to her every day, I gave her treats (always a winner when you're trying to steal a chickens' heart) and just let her learn to associate me with good things. She came round to the idea eventually and rewarded me by "telling me" to sit down one day and jumping on my lap when I did
smile.png
Of all my years of chicken keeping, that is one of my favourite moments.

Enjoy your girls and those wonderful eggs!

Awww, poor things and they are so pretty! I rescued a terribly skittish hen year before last and eventually tamed her to the point where she was completely comfortable with me, but it took quite some time and patience. What I did was sit with her and talk to her every day, I gave her treats (always a winner when you're trying to steal a chickens' heart) and just let her learn to associate me with good things. She came round to the idea eventually and rewarded me by "telling me" to sit down one day and jumping on my lap when I did :)  Of all my years of chicken keeping, that is one of my favourite moments.

Enjoy your girls and those wonderful eggs!

Thank you, I have a feeling we are going to be spending a lot of time together, lol. Mealworms are good ice breakers. I think that they have been in such a big flock, that they were at the bottom if the pecking order. With them included, I only have 5 chickens, so I think they will do better here. Thank you!!!

Thank you, I have a feeling we are going to be spending a lot of time together, lol. Mealworms are good ice breakers. I think that they have been in such a big flock, that they were at the bottom if the pecking order. With them included, I only have 5 chickens, so I think they will do better here. Thank you!!!
You can't go wrong with mealworms! It sounds like they found a wonderful home with you
smile.png

I'm so glad Mabel and dottie have found a proper home :)
You are right to isolate for a little while. In the UK I've always had a problem with scaley leg mites on the chickens I've rescued.
Sounds like they've been through the mill. I'm sure they will settle quickly once they realise you are their mealworm magician!

I love to hear about this sort of thing. 2 more chickens in a loving home. Makes us all feel a bit happier doesn't it ?

Good luck with your bearded ladies :D

I'm so glad Mabel and dottie have found a proper home :)
You are right to isolate for a little while. In the UK I've always had a problem with scaley leg mites on the chickens I've rescued.
Sounds like they've been through the mill. I'm sure they will settle quickly once they realise you are their mealworm magician!

I love to hear about this sort of thing. 2 more chickens in a loving home. Makes us all feel a bit happier doesn't it ?

Good luck with your bearded ladies :D

Thank you!

Here is a better picture of them. Do you guys think they are EE or Ameraucanas? They both have a little blue in their feathers. I'm excited to see them with all their feathers in, especially the dark brown one. She is the most skittish one, so it's hard to get a good picture if her.

Believe it or not their legs actually look clean! Lol. Scaly leg mites is what I looked for first too.

We just moved them to the coop for good. We decided to give the others to my cousin since the other hens
weren't too friendly to "outsiders". Now they are in a bigger and safer coop.
I love these little birds, that have an awesome temperament and they adjust to change quickly
even at only 2 months old!

7 in one box
idunno.gif
lau.gif

The smart one.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom