Chicken Breed Focus - Isbar (Blue Isbar)

Pics

I'm so excited to finally add more Isbar chicks, these are from Green fire. I recognize the blues, blacks, and splash. But are the two black and white splash as well?
My first group at 6 weeks is two blues and one black but they are all looking like pullets.

We have four Isbars: 2 blue cockerels, a black cockerel, and a black pullet. They are three weeks old today, and they are such sweethearts. We have many chickens of many breeds, and these are already some of my very favorites. We find them very quiet, laid back, and easy for children to handle (and they've been handled by several).

We splurged on this breed because of their stunning good looks, lovely green eggs, and the tendency for roosters to be docile toward people. So far, I am impressed.

I have my first set of isbar chicks. They will be 3 weeks old this coming weekend. How do you know at this age if they are cockerel or pullet?

Last edited:
I have my first set of isbar chicks. They will be 3 weeks old this coming weekend. How do you know at this age if they are cockerel or pullet?

Good question! My three cockerels developed plump, red combs and wattles surprisingly early. I'm not sure if this is typical of the breed or not.

The black cockerel in post #109 was photographed at 3 weeks, 2 days. Here is the same cockerel at 6 weeks, 5 days (and still just as sweet):

As a sidenote, he was actually the "late bloomer" of the three cockerels and didn't show significant comb/wattles development until he was a little over two weeks old.

Last edited:
I love my Isbars! I have a blue cockerel, a splash cockerel, and two blue pullets, and three splash pullets. They are sweet and friendly, and are wonderful foragers. By far, one of my favorite breeds!!!

IMG_0059.jpg
Does anybody have white Isbars? I got this one from Greenfire end of September. All the others are black or splash. Late developing splash? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom