Chicken Breed Focus - Isbar (Blue Isbar)

Pics
I took a few pics of my 3 month old Silverudds Blues that are in a grow out pen with my BCM. All from Greenfire Farms. Due to knee surgery, I will be selling most if not all. It breaks my heart. I had hoped to start a breeding program. I may try again in the future, once my knee is fixed. I've got 6 Cockerels & 3 Pullets. PT tested flock. Watch for my ad. I plan to post it today or tomorrow. :hit
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I took a few pics of my 3 month old Silverudds Blues that are in a grow out pen with my BCM. All from Greenfire Farms. Due to knee surgery, I will be selling most if not all. It breaks my heart. I had hoped to start a breeding program. I may try again in the future, once my knee is fixed. I've got 6 Cockerels & 3 Pullets. PT tested flock. Watch for my ad. I plan to post it today or tomorrow. :hitView attachment 1524573
View attachment 1524570 View attachment 1524572 View attachment 1524582

Beautiful! Here’s my pullet. I totally thought I did something wrong for her feathers to grow in like this. Ha! I’m a new chicken owner.

Attachments

• 3DABFE21-BB54-49DD-86E7-48426A58D2E8.jpeg
    3DABFE21-BB54-49DD-86E7-48426A58D2E8.jpeg
    663.2 KB · Views: 38
I took a few pics of my 3 month old Silverudds Blues that are in a grow out pen with my BCM. All from Greenfire Farms. Due to knee surgery, I will be selling most if not all. It breaks my heart. I had hoped to start a breeding program. I may try again in the future, once my knee is fixed. I've got 6 Cockerels & 3 Pullets. PT tested flock. Watch for my ad. I plan to post it today or tomorrow. :hitView attachment 1524573
View attachment 1524570 View attachment 1524572 View attachment 1524582

After reading the rules regarding selling on BYC, I elected to sell them elsewhere. FYI only

After reading the rules regarding selling on BYC, I elected to sell them elsewhere. FYI only

Yes! Here is my blue we call stormy. I wish we could buy! We are at our max.

Attachments

• 4C346F93-9A08-4B6F-ACD9-20D5C9E42C6A.jpeg
    4C346F93-9A08-4B6F-ACD9-20D5C9E42C6A.jpeg
    826.8 KB · Views: 36
Yes! Here is my blue we call stormy. I wish we could buy! We are at our max.

Very pretty. I love her name. I only had 1 Blue pullet & she sold right away!
I wish I could keep all of my pullets. But knee surgery is in my near future & there’s no way I can handle everything on my small ranch. I don’t know how others feel, but to me, chickens are very labor intensive. Right now I have over 70 chickens! :th

Yes, sorry, I meant the black one should be because hers are bright red and wattles are getting there. This one, not so much. But I thought they were they same age ‍♀️

And I’m so sorry about your knee! 70! Wow!! Your’s are gorgeous. Can’t wait until mine are full grown. I’d love to move to an acreage and have a larger flock. I have 9, but it’s a good starting point.

Yes, sorry, I meant the black one should be because hers are bright red and wattles are getting there. This one, not so much. But I thought they were they same age ‍♀️

And I’m so sorry about your knee! 70! Wow!! Your’s are gorgeous. Can’t wait until mine are full grown. I’d love to move to an acreage and have a larger flock. I have 9, but it’s a good starting point.

Thank you. I love raising chickens & in the future plan to have a set up that is not so labor intensive.

What age do isbars begin laying?
I would like to clear this up. Originally in Sweden, Isbar referred to any green egg laying chicken, and still does to many there. (Kind of like our struggle here with Ameraucana, Americana and Easter Egger.) The breed we know as Blue Isbar (Isbar Blue in Sweden) was specifically bred by Martin Silverudd as a production breed. He never accomplished the auto-sexing part of this breed before he died, if he intended it to be. There was a white Isbar, bred by Martin Silverudd, that was a precursor to the Blue Isbar, but is believed to be extinct. Blue, black, splash and white are the only recognized colors of this breed. It is also thought that the White Leghorn was used in the development of the Blue Isbar. I have seen some speculation that the Minorca may have been used, and perhaps that is how the blue color was introduced. Many of Martin Silverudd's notes on the development of the Blue Isbar have been lost which is why there is so much speculation.

I was originally drawn to the Blue Isbar because of its beauty and Swedish heritage. (DH's family is Swedish) My Isbars are by far the most productive breed that I own. (I have Swedish Flower Hens, Svarthönas, White Bresse, Black Copper Marans, Black Ameraucanas, a Rhodebar, an Easter Egger, and a few mixed breeds) They are on the small end of the scale for large fowl birds, but are reliable layers of large to extra large eggs. The have easily withstood winters with temps down to -20o F and summers with temps of 100o F+ with hardly a pause in their laying. Even during molt, they recovered and resumed laying very quickly compared to my other breeds. They are a thrifty breed and excellent foragers.

The Blue Isbar is a very intelligent breed (for a chicken anyway.
lol.png
) They have a calm temperatment, but mine are not overly fond of being handled. I find that integrating new birds in an established flock is easier with the Isbars than with my other breeds. The cocks are not aggressive and take excellent care of the hens.

The Blue Isbar was originally brought to the states by Greenfire Farms in 2011. This first import was plagued by problems caused by inbreeding. Many breeders gave up on them because of fertility, hatchability, and vitality issues. The few breeders that stuck with them were able to solve many of the vitality issues with careful breeding. I know of only a handful of breeders, myself included, who still maintain a flock of 1st import birds.

In 2013, Greenfire imported a second group of Blue Isbars. Though this 2nd import line brought much needed diversity to address the issues that plagued the 1st import line, they also brought much more variability in the birds with some undesirable characteristics.

900x900px-LL-c4875b5a_Isbareggs012415wm.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom