Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Quote:
That actually sounds good. I have several polystyrene incubators that is very much the same design.
I use plastic egg shelves that can hold 30 eggs, like a egg tray at the supermarket just plastic, then I only turn the whole tray with all the eggs in it twice a day.
This cuts down on the amount of time your machine is open in a day, providing a more constant temperature for your eggs.
I place the trays at a 45 degree angle. With this technique I've had as many as 80% of all fertile eggs hatch.
Now humidity makes or brakes a hatch ----
All the books will tell you 50 % is ideal, but those are boiler eggs, not little bantam eggs, also the commercial boiler industry don't pack any eggs that are considered large..
Now large isn't really that large at all, it means any eggs over 51gram is "large" this is done for a very simple reason.
"Large" eggs needs a lower humidity to lose enough moisture to be ready to hatch and not drown in their own fluids during the internal pip, also if the chick is to "fat" swollen with moisture content,
it can't get out, its essentially stuck.
Layer hens over a year just about all lay larger eggs.
I found that little bantams can hatch at day 19, which means you were turning it while it needed to lay still and didn't raise the humidity when the little chick needed it... So then you get a very tired little chick that is prone to get trampled.
Read up on the "Dry hatch method"

(To buy a reliable humidity meter -- Poltek has a online shop, they are not that expensive and will mail it to you.)

To counter all this you need a small bright flashlight and 10 minutes at night. Read about candling -- it's actually easy to see and internal pip. Don't give up on "large" eggs if they don't hatch at day 21, I've had some hatch at day 26. Yes, I was pushing the limits of what should be packed, but not all have a 100 eggs to select from.

For humidity in my 70cm by 35cm by 35cm incubators I use two teacups that I keep full of water, if the wheather is rainy I use only one. Only at hatch do I increase humidity.

Hope this helps

I've been searching for almost a year now. The closest I got was LS chicks from Altro Pets, in Voortrekker road, Parow. I've not seen the adults though just some chicks and I got some hatching eggs from them as well. Out of 10 eggs that I got, only one is still developing and its due to hatch on Monday. I am planning on getting some hatching eggs from Henmar chickens in Johannesburg as soon as I can afford it. They breed show quality Light Sussex. Eggs are R30 each though. Chicks are R60 each with a minimum order of two boxes sent (120 chicks per box!) That's too much for me, so I will be getting eggs

Last edited:
That's funny. I am not far from Randburg and we never see Hawks (or genets for that matter) Perhaps I just haven't spotted them. In which case I have been very lucky! We haven't lost a single chicken to a predator.
You lucky fish!!!
smack.gif

That's funny. I am not far from Randburg and we never see Hawks (or genets for that matter) Perhaps I just haven't spotted them. In which case I have been very lucky! We haven't lost a single chicken to a predator.

i am outside a lot so i cast an eye on the sky every time i hear his warning call, most of the time it is just a crow, but once in a while a hawk or kestrel. Even seen vultures flying high over my house, but those dont concern me.

There is an active breeding genet population in Randburg, a mother and baby were spotted in someones garden in the middle of the day, was reported in the Randburg local paper last year i believe!

Ah well, what can you do
roll.png

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share :) My Potch Koekoek hen's just started laying eggs (pullets for now) yesterday! I feel so proud and excited. Feels like I have been waiting forever!
You re so lucky to have pullets! Awesome! How reliable is that colour sexing, does it work?

Back
Top Bottom