Chicken compatible dog breed

With proper introduction and discipline any dog could do good if taught early. I also heard that in the old days you got a mean rooster and threw the puppy in with him-- he would never mess with a chicken again
lol.png

Hello everybody! I am pleased to make my first post here.

I had my first chickens 20 years ago, and I had an Old English Sheepdog. She was never a problem.

I live in a rural area and for the past 150 years here, EVERYBODY had dogs AND chickens. According to my grandfather, your dog didn't bother your chickens, but a neighbor's dog might.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
racuda
Interesting topic--the two dogs I am considering are:
a mini-australian shepard and a papillon.

I had an aussie and know how smart and protective they are. Love papillons cause they are smart and small (good house dog), but I've seen them go after little animals--anyone have experience with one and chickens? Any other small, clean and smart (easy to train) dogs to protect chickens? Can a dog protect against another dog attack?

I lost a very expensive and well loved Aussie to my own Great Pyrenees. It was awful - the Aussie broke into the goat pen to do what he thought he had to (bunch the goats), and the Pyr did what he thought he had to do (protect the goats). The Pyr won and the Aussie got a funeral.

Sad deal on all accounts.

Yes, there are dogs who can and will ward off other dog attacks. They are called Livestock Guardian Dogs, or LGD. Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherds, and Maremmas fall into this category and it's uncanny the way they are genetically programed to live AS livestock. We had several when we had more goats, and all of our Pyrs were great with the livestock.

Cheers
M

I have 2 Dobes - they were obsessed with the chickens when we first got them. We ended up losing 1 of our chickens to 1 of the dogs a few months ago. However, since then our dogs could care less about the chickens. The chicks have started free ranging and the dogs don’t pay any attention to them except for the occasional game of chicken butt sniffing. They seem more interested in the chickens when they are in the pen. I think you could teach most dogs to respect your chickens but going for a breed with natural herding or guarding instincts might make the job easier.

First - racuda
welcome-byc.gif

In answer to the orginal question - I have a Boston Terrier and he is terrible with the chickens. He will chase them and pen them down.
somad.gif

I keep them seperated now but would love for them to co-exist. He is still a puppy and I am trying to teach him but I understand that they are bred to kill small animals, so
hu.gif

I am getting a rooster this week who I hope will be a help by kicking the pups butt if he does come anywhere near the girls!
lol.png

We also have a Boxer who is pretty good with the girls but can get into trouble if she is with the Boston. He is trouble!
gig.gif

Whatever breed you decide on, look for a local breed rescue or check your SPCA! I think it isn't necessarily a question of breed but rather personality.

Quote:
Oh yah! seven years into it and I got it down. He wouldn't come if you were holding a steak in one hand and his favorite ball in another. When and only when he is tuckered and ready to be caught he will allow you to trick him into the car for a "ride" and then comes into the house and goes to his place where he lies knowing he is in deep doodoo. He usually engineers this by lying in the front yard in the morning. Sometimes I get up at 4 am go to the front door and find him lying in the driveway. I say "Hoagy - come on in" and if he is ready in he comes...
oh well. I love him anyway.
jan

thats so funny,
my shar pei's favorite game in the whole world is 'see if you can catch Duke' (he's Duke). He loves to go whizzing past us at 90 mph as we try to grab him.

I didn't read through all the posts, so apologies if it's been said before...

I'd steer away from a Boxer. We have a huge boxer (almost 70 pounds) and he's an idiot with the chickens.

If we're out in the yard with him and the chickens, he won't give them a second glance. BUT - you turn him out to go to the bathroom and forget to go and call him in a few minutes, and he's out trying to run them to death.

He'll run a hen until she's exhausted and panting in terror. Then he'll move on to the next hen.

He used to be the same with the cat, until she asserted her dominance over him by bloodying his nose. He gives the cat a wide berth now.

Good luck.
Em

Back
Top Bottom