Chicken id Leg bands?

pbzmomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
Virginia
I hope this is the right spot for this thread lol. We have decided we want to use id tags on our chickens. We are torn between two different kinds found online. There are the metal leg bands then the plastic ones. any idea which is better and safer for chickens? what age should we put them on? below are links to the 2 kinds we are considering.

http://www.randallburkey.com/Initialed-Leg-Bands-Color/productinfo/22021/272|281

http://www.randallBurkey.com/Box-Of-25-7-Bandettes/productinfo/23003/

Thanks

So this weekend we tried zip ties. Too difficult to cut off and I feared hurting the chicks in the process. I believe they will work great once they are full grown.

Velcro I found in the sewing isle at walmart. Various colors. Too difficult to wrap around less than week old chicks, but worked well on week and a half old chicks.

So we bought tiny colored rubber bands for the childrens hair stuff at the dollar general. These were perfect. Light weight and fairly simple to put on after doubling them first.

What would you guys recommend if you have a neighbor who you fear would try to take the band off to steal your chickens?

Forum rules prohibit me from answering honestly.
somad.gif

Here is an Idea.............I needed to separate several of my newly hatched pheasant chicks from the others temporarily .............I took a "soda straw", like the

kind that use to drink malted milk from, cut them in little bands about 1/8 inches wide, then slit them with scissors and applied to the babies legs. You can

get them in several colors at variety stores if you need an assortment.................hope this works for you also...............tt (zip)

Depending on the value of the chickens, and what the neighbor is doing with them, there are always microchips. Wing bands are harder to see if you don't know they are there, but they are pretty easy to get off with pliers. Some of the thicker metal leg bands can be pretty hard to get off. Another thought might be toe punching or tattooing. If they are light colored chickens, dye them pink and purple with Jello? Of course first choice would be a new neighbor.

I had used the spiral ones. They worked great for a while until the one on Violet's leg cut into her. We got it off and treated the wound. I had been told to use a size 9 for a leghorn hen, but obviously Violet needs a larger band. I've ordered some in size 10 and 11. Violet will be getting a size 11. If it helps anyone, I get mine from https://www.strombergschickens.com/

I'm glad my girls put up with me making so many mistakes. I guess it's just a live and learn thing. Violet is still my most personable hen.

I guess I should mention that our hens are quasi pets and all have names which go with the color of their leg band

Violet - purple band
Indigo (Indy) - blue band
Ruby - red band
Eartha - brown band
Metallica (Tally) - black band
Hunter - green band
Spaz - no band
Deloris - red and purple bands

I haven't used the metal ones, but I'd go for the plastic. When I bought my Silkie chick she had a plastic legband like those and it was very easy to take off and seemed really easy to put on and to change out as chicks grow. The metal ones need a special tool to put on, too.
I personally used velcro cable ties. They are sold at Wal-Mart and all of the hardware stores I've been to. Here is what I got. The black ones I wrap different combinations of colored electrical tape around and on the gray ones I write names, numbers, etc on. It is much more customizable and you can adjust them as the birds grow so if you put them on chicks they can stay on the same bird through its whole life. Some people also use zip ties.
But if you are limited to those two choices, I think the plastic ones are better.

Back
Top Bottom