Chicken id Leg bands?

I have found the spirel type to be very good, easy to put on, and take off. comes in differenct sizes from tiny ones to ones you can put on emu's in all different colors.

Baby chicks: I cut soda straws of different colors to use as temporys until the chicks are large enough for regular spirel typ bands............................k4eqh............zip

howdy, zip ties work well, just make sure that you be careful about the cut off part of them. They can be sharp and cut legs is
you leave any extending beyond the lock.............other than that, they are great....change often if you use on little birds........k4eqh.........zip

Old thread but I was looking for opinions on the best leg bands. For my babies I used crayola marker ;) I really only needed to tell my buff orpington chicks apart because all the other chicks looked different but with the light colored baby chicks a dot of marker on their heads worked like a charm for me. When I would notice the color was fading I would just redo the dot, quick, easy and harmless. I was told to not use red because that might cause pecking issues but I used pink, purple, blue and green with absolutely no pecking issues

I had used the spiral ones. They worked great for a while until the one on Violet's leg cut into her. We got it off and treated the wound. I had been told to use a size 9 for a leghorn hen, but obviously Violet needs a larger band. I've ordered some in size 10 and 11. Violet will be getting a size 11. If it helps anyone, I get mine from https://www.strombergschickens.com/

I'm glad my girls put up with me making so many mistakes. I guess it's just a live and learn thing. Violet is still my most personable hen.

I guess I should mention that our hens are quasi pets and all have names which go with the color of their leg band

Violet - purple band
Indigo (Indy) - blue band
Ruby - red band
Eartha - brown band
Metallica (Tally) - black band
Hunter - green band
Spaz - no band
Deloris - red and purple bands

LMAO I want to see pics of jello or koolaid dyed chickens!!!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=396691897072119&set=gm.385030171590535&type=1 This is a link to a photo used as a header on a fb page about genetics with what looks like koolaid dyed chicks.

The zipties are HARD to cut and you have to get to them to remove while there is still room to get the wirecutters underneath to snip them. The spiral leg bands can be horribly sharp if they catch it on something and stretch it out...makes a stabbing end that often ends up in the legs. I use toe punches and colored rubber bands for visual until they are big enough for the bandettes (wider non-sharp option with numbers for visual ID in different colors).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23103280355...66&_trkparms=ga1m=T11&ga2m=T1&ga3m=T0&ga4m=T2

I've been using these for about 8 months now and swear by them. Much easier to identify chickens when they have different color leg bands - about one third of them came off after a few months - seems that was usually the rascally chickens (you know last one to go back in the pen or henhouse at night?) so my guess is they are removing them themselves because the sleeve locks seem pretty sturdy. I've given up on regular chicken names (Blackened, Teryaki, Nugget) and just gone to calling them Red Green Yellow and so forth. You can also take a sharpie and easily make patterns vert stripes - horizontal stripes, X's etc to distinguish similar chickens with same colors for larger flocks

These were worth every nickel in my opinion

Rural King sells the leg bands too. They're much cheaper. They're much cheaper on feed also, so if you have one within driving distance, count your blessings. I don't see the leg bands online, but I did see them on the wall at the register when I checked out.

Back
Top Bottom