Chicken id Leg bands?

What would you guys recommend if you have a neighbor who you fear would try to take the band off to steal your chickens?

Forum rules prohibit me from answering honestly.
somad.gif

Depending on the value of the chickens, and what the neighbor is doing with them, there are always microchips. Wing bands are harder to see if you don't know they are there, but they are pretty easy to get off with pliers. Some of the thicker metal leg bands can be pretty hard to get off. Another thought might be toe punching or tattooing. If they are light colored chickens, dye them pink and purple with Jello? Of course first choice would be a new neighbor.

I looked up pictures of those, how exactly do they work? Do they go on when they are babies? I have 30 full grown hens that look similar to the neighbors, they were in his yard, im afraid he may try to keep them there is they keep going over there. ive been keeping them in the run for the majority of the day until evening time to decrease the chances, but you never know.

Ok, Kelsie2290, now I want to dye a couple of my chickens (just for fun of course) I dont think it would hurt them, since its just jello- unless of course you were kidding, lol. But if you are not, do you just dunk them in jello water? that would be neat. I have two white birds that im sure would love to be green ;)

But the rest are dark, im thinking i will try metal leg bands. But how do you know which size to get?

Thread from awhile back with a silkie, now that was one good dye job.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ont-one-person-yell-at-me-coloring-my-chicken
Pretty much anything like that will work, koolaid, food coloring, jello, the more concentrated the more color you get. They actually make special dyes for animals, have you ever seen the poodle contests?
Wing bands you can put on at any time, they do require punching a hole through the web of the wing, the chickens don't seem to mind it much since the end of the bands are pretty sharp. The leg bands usually come in standard sizes, you need to measure the leg of your chicken, there is some wiggle room in that you don't have to fasten them all the way. http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page723.htm are some examples and they have a size chart farther down.
If your chickens are going into your neighbors yard, you do need to find a way to contain them or keep them on your side.

Ive been keeping them locked up in the run most of the day. I am not even sure if ours were in their yard. they said they were, but who knows. I think they are saying that bc their chickens were in the other neighbors yard, and i think they want to place blame on me. but every time i see chickens in the other people's yard i go make sure they arnt mine, and mine are always here. but i want to take precautions before it gets out of hand. it sounds childish, but thats what i have to deal with. cannot wait to move :)

No, you are much better to be safe than sorry. Sounds like it is a good idea to mark your birds so if they catch a chicken somewhere it is not supposed to be you can prove it is not yours. If the neighbors are playing the blame game you want to stay out of it. Have considered something like a chicken tractor or portable pen if you can't leave them out, could at least move them around the yard?

Back
Top Bottom