Chicken id Leg bands?

I was doing a google search for leg bands and came across this. I think I am going to try to use the velcro idea it sounds easy and that way I can tell what rooster I want to keep. I have two favorites and one I can tell from the others but one I can't so I love this idea and its much cheaper then the leg id bands.

Thank you,
chicky

So this weekend we tried zip ties. Too difficult to cut off and I feared hurting the chicks in the process. I believe they will work great once they are full grown.

Velcro I found in the sewing isle at walmart. Various colors. Too difficult to wrap around less than week old chicks, but worked well on week and a half old chicks.

So we bought tiny colored rubber bands for the childrens hair stuff at the dollar general. These were perfect. Light weight and fairly simple to put on after doubling them first.

Here is an Idea.............I needed to separate several of my newly hatched pheasant chicks from the others temporarily .............I took a "soda straw", like the

kind that use to drink malted milk from, cut them in little bands about 1/8 inches wide, then slit them with scissors and applied to the babies legs. You can

get them in several colors at variety stores if you need an assortment.................hope this works for you also...............tt (zip)

I would also like to know this!
The more I think on this idea the more I think there may be a toxicity issue here that may not be good for the chickens. I'd be afraid to try this. Not sure it would last that long either.... does wear off quick on me. But I wouldn't want my chickens eating any chips of nail polish. Wonder if there is lead or such that can hurt them.

Thats a great idea!!! I have been trying to figure out a safe and comfortable way to tag my chickens and velcro zip tie i had no idea that even existed.. thanks so much i will check my local stores.. i do have a few questions.. is there a specific size to look for? you can reuse right? any pictures of the chickens with these on? curious how it looks, do they seem comfortable? any other suggestions? thanks again

What would you guys recommend if you have a neighbor who you fear would try to take the band off to steal your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom