Chicken math

Chicken Subtraction yesterday and today. Processed 15 roosters roosters and 1 hen, 1 hen died. Sold 3 roosters today. 4 roosters left to sell or process. Down to more manageable numbers. Incubators are full. Picking up 40 hatching eggs tomorrow though: Jubilee and Chocolate Orpingtons, Black Leghorns and BRL Wyndottes. It's hard to hide the crazy!

Yeah, I don't even have chickens yet and chicken math has already hit.

I wanted 3.

Then 4.

Then I ordered 6.

Which became 7 with the Meyer Meal Maker.

And I just added 2 more to make it 9.

And hubby wants white eggs so we're going to getting a few more next year, too.
Ooo I love Meyer Hatchery!!! I got the meal makers as well. One was golden comet (golden buff) the 2nd was Golden laced Wyandotte.
Of course you can't just have 1 of that breed so...A++++ in chicken math class

Ooo I love Meyer Hatchery!!! I got the meal makers as well. One was golden comet (golden buff) the 2nd was Golden laced Wyandotte.
Of course you can't just have 1 of that breed so...A++++ in chicken math class
It ended up being 8 from Meyer (In transit to me now!)

And 3 that I picked up locally, for a total of 11.

Well we were excited when we came home with 7 after only planning to get 4. Originally was looking and saw 2sq feet per bird for a coop after doing more reading I see we need 4sq ft per bird. So we only have room for the 4 we originally planned for. So now we need to find a home for 2 BR and 1 RIR. There is a lady who became an aquaintnence of ours at the local farmers market last summer. She sells her left over eggs there. Maybe we can swap her for some eggs. Definitely will build alot bigger coop for next year.

Well we were excited when we came home with 7 after only planning to get 4. Originally was looking and saw 2sq feet per bird for a coop after doing more reading I see we need 4sq ft per bird. So we only have room for the 4 we originally planned for. So now we need to find a home for 2 BR and 1 RIR. There is a lady who became an aquaintnence of ours at the local farmers market last summer. She sells her left over eggs there. Maybe we can swap her for some eggs. Definitely will build alot bigger coop for next year.

What breeds are the other 4? Did you get sexed chicks?

Well, chicken math has struck again...Lol. Thank God I was able to split chicks with a friend. Went to feed store and they had silkies..Well, seeing as how I had lost the tiniest bantam ever last week, I had to get one. Which ended up to be 2 and SLW were only $1 and ya gotta buy 6 chicks I came home with 4 Wyandotte and 2 silkies and a Buckeye. I had to call a friend and I mean quickly. Afterall was said and done I replaced the one little guy I lost with 2 silkies and a Wyandotte. Already having 2 dark Brahma, brown Leghorn, Jersey giant, an ISA brown and 2 guineas in the brooder from 3 weeks ago I had to start another. I think I may need to order feed online...lol

Chicken math struck but it wasn't my fault, lol.
Sold my whole flock for the move last year, finally setup to get back into a small flock (now living in city limits, had no restrictions before). Went to get chicks but they didn't have all the breeds I had hoped to get, so I made do with some alternates. Had self-imposed limit of six for final flock, so bought 12 (2 ea of 6 breeds)to account for attrition due to loss or gender....plan to sell extras wken I pick my keepers. Two turned out to be cockerels (made that subtraction easy). I ended up not being all that impressed with the BSL we got (they were definitely a *well, they'll do* choice to begin with) so decided they'd go too. ..so that would put me at 8...only 2 more to subtract!
Two weeks after the first 12 came home we went to get DH a pair of boots and now they had the white leghorns I wanted to begin with. ....so I *had* to get two (again, intent is to keep one )....so technically 14 in the brooder for now. Assured DH that I was still sticking to 6 and told him I already had 4 on the list to go. He informed me that the BSL are the ones he was liking most. ...of course.......so, I guess to keep him happy I'll just have to keep one of them which means I'll have to have 7, but it's not *my*fault, lol

Back
Top Bottom