Chicken math

Ouch :)

I believe that once someone tries a home grown rooster, there is no way back to store bought chickens :) Honestly! My very good friend brought her famous chicken dish to our potluck dinner (which I absolutely loved), and I could not eat now... the chicken meat was tasteless and texture was off. That was after tasting a couple of birds from our flock.

Our chicken math worked our to 1 rooster/roaster per week (or a duck), and at least a dozen eggs a day. That works for our family of three.
So we seemed to have settled for 45+ chickens and 20+ ducks for now, but some subtraction will begin in fall/winter. Then in spring we will let them hatch more babies.
I've already ordered the next batch of replacements. A small (15) order of Black Australorps coming next week. Maybe I'll just start stock piling the freezer with chicken and see if that reduces the urge to buy factory farm poultry from the store. I too prefer our own chicken to factory chicken but I can see the convenience and cost savings in just grabbing the huge bag of spicy wings from Costco.

I was tested today. Went to the feedstore and beheld a beautiful sight!

So many chicks! Production reds, barred rocks, and... Silver laced wyandottes! Oh how I was temped. I practiced restraint, but I'm still trying to think of a good enough excuse to go back.

Last edited:
I can't help myself. I KNOW that mail order hatching eggs is a numbers game. The odds are against you.AND an incubator turner with empty slots is just WRONG.AND i have another incubator that should arrive Monday

I'm so excited!!! I met a man on my business convention that is a breeder and I'm going to get one of his (Isabel lavender leghorns) and he has a friend that breeds pure aeracaunas which are super hard to find! I can't wait!! Now to expand my coop lol!

Back
Top Bottom