Chicken mating thread !!!

Maybe (but not likely) if there's lots of females to share and lots of space.

Roosters are not necessarily an effective predator deterrent...they may warn the hens of danger and get them somewhere safe, but it's not something I'd bet on....roosters can often be nothing more than the first victim to fall in a predator attack.

Thanks aart for you're opinion and sharing you're knowledge.

Effective against predator (HAWK) when predator targets immature birds and hens. Can also be effective against domestic cats. Not effective against other predators and I do not value the roosters ability to warn other flock members as hens and even juveniles can also fill that role. The roosters are louder and easier for me and other anti-predator agents to here when alarm calls produced.

Situation and predator species must be considered.

A6chickenhome, your situation is artificial. Combine one rooster, the free bird will then settle down if he is mature.

Thanks centrarchid. I don't fully understand you're post. To clarify: you have found roosters CAN be a deterrent against cats and hawks, and also help you hear when you need to go out and scare the predator off?

Can u tell me what you mean by artificial? When you say combine one rooster, do you mean that I should plan to have only one with the hens and the other(free bird) separated from the flock?

My predator issues are mostly Coopers Hawks.

Thanks centrarchid. I don't fully understand you're post. To clarify: you have found roosters CAN be a deterrent against cats and hawks, and also help you hear when you need to go out and scare the predator off?

Can u tell me what you mean by artificial? When you say combine one rooster, do you mean that I should plan to have only one with the hens and the other(free bird) separated from the flock?

My predator issues are mostly Coopers Hawks.

Yes, they can be a detourant against hawks, especially Coopers. They will sometimes go after cats if broody hens riled by cats.

I meant confine. I do a lot of typing with small children or cats on my lap. Confine extra rooster in a pen by himself.

Yes, they can be a detourant against hawks, especially Coopers. They will sometimes go after cats if broody hens riled by cats.

I meant confine. I do a lot of typing with small children or cats on my lap. Confine extra rooster in a pen by himself.

Ok, got it! I guess my idea about having two roosters just isn't possible with their nature. I will plan to cull one which will be my first time doing so. Thanks for responding, I really appreciate you're response.

Ok, after scouring the Internet for information on my roosters behavior this is the most informative information I could get. A quote from: Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals

by Dr. Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson.

"Then there are other genetic problems that no one understands. One of the worst cases was the rapist roosters. I wrote about them in Animals in Translation. Fortunately, the broiler industry has made some genetic changes to correct these problems, although there’s still a way to go. The rapist roosters violently attack hens and injure and even kill them. Before the 1990s there weren’t any rapist roosters. They just suddenly appeared out of the blue. First it was just one strain of roosters that had become aggressive but within a couple of years almost all strains had developed the same behavior. Nobody knows why."

This definitely resonates with me when I observe this rooster. The roo in question is a Cream Crested Legbar and as I understand it, there is a pretty small gene pool in this country. I am going to cull him after alot of research and deliberation. I have been trying the ascertain whether his behavior is normal on some level and my opinion is absolutely not! I think it's normal if a rooster is aggressive while "protecting" his hens or fighting for dominance with another rooster. I have read a lot on line about farmers having multiple roosters and it is done, often(10-12 hens per rooster)The roosters will set up a pecking order between themselves. One farmer I read about has three roosters out in the field free ranging with the flock and they attack predators working together and will attack until either they or the predator are dead(the predators listed were arial and smaller ground, like foxes).

If roosters of different breeds are exhibiting the behavior, are they implying the condition is somehow vectored/ promoted by a pathogen?

I question outright the assertion about the three roosters taking on a predator and think it is false. If balance of information is of similar quality and / or from similar source then all is suspect. I have been into poultry for a long-time with a breed known for capabilities when aggressive and accounts given above are outside my experience. I will also pit my level / quantity of experience against the authors when it comes to rooster behaviors.

I have a question to anyone who can help.
I have a GLW kinda a loner. Anyways every time my Roo tries to mate another hen, here comes Goldie biting the hens head while Roo mates.
1f633.png
1f601.png
is this normal? She also walks by other hens and just pulls their feathers out or breaks them.
I'm trying to re home her. I feel she's not so nice and my goal is to get a tame flock that goes well with our family . I already homed 3 RIR because they were aggressive but at a great home now.
Thanks in advance! I really don't care for her much and that's a lot to say cause I love my ladies!! She's just mean!

Hi, I am hoping someone can help I have a total of 8 hens and one rooster recently I've put the rooster in the run for the last few days so that way the hens can get used to him, but he's locked up at night. Question my little mixed Rhode Island Reds have broken feathers on their shoulder blade is that a sign that he may have got Busy with them, my rooster seems to have the most interest in the two red hens?Yet none of my hens are sitting, so I took some eggs and I plan on putting them in the incubator to see if they are fertilized. I was just wondering if there is any physical signs that he is getting it on with my girls?

I have a question to anyone who can help.
I have a GLW kinda a loner. Anyways every time my Roo tries to mate another hen, here comes Goldie biting the hens head while Roo mates.
1f633.png
1f601.png
is this normal? She also walks by other hens and just pulls their feathers out or breaks them.
I'm trying to re home her. I feel she's not so nice and my goal is to get a tame flock that goes well with our family . I already homed 3 RIR because they were aggressive but at a great home now.
Thanks in advance! I really don't care for her much and that's a lot to say cause I love my ladies!! She's just mean!
I'd isolate her for a couple days, in sight but separated by wire, then put her back in...should change the pecking order, if not separate her again for longer this time.

Hi, I am hoping someone can help I have a total of 8 hens and one rooster recently I've put the rooster in the run for the last few days so that way the hens can get used to him, but he's locked up at night. Question my little mixed Rhode Island Reds have broken feathers on their shoulder blade is that a sign that he may have got Busy with them, my rooster seems to have the most interest in the two red hens?Yet none of my hens are sitting, so I took some eggs and I plan on putting them in the incubator to see if they are fertilized. I was just wondering if there is any physical signs that he is getting it on with my girls?
Look here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

An easier approach is to simply spend about 15 to 20 minutes with the birds to observe. Rooster will likely cover a hen during that interval. We should spend some time checking on them anyway as verifying how they are doing with respect to health and the condition of their containment.

Back
Top Bottom