Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
I understand your fears, but you have to understand that God made our immune systems to be able to handle these things. In the event that someone has medical issues that make them more likely to become more sick, or die from a virus, trust me, we take precautions. I lost the use of half of my lung in the Army due to chemical exposure and frequent bouts of pneumonia. I have avoided people with colds, the flu, and pneumonia for years. Unfortunately though, I have had 2 of the 3 strands of COVID and God got me through both. What I am respectfully saying is we don't have to act like little authoritarians and force shots and mask on people to make ourselves feel better, protecting yourself is your job, not others. To put it into numbers the U.S. population is over 330 million people. COVID has killed less than a million people. So you have way less than a 1% chance of this virus killing you. That doesn't warrant us requiring everyone's rights stripped away for the sake of the fearful. I have a bumper sticker on my truck that says, "My rights don't end at your feelings." It applies even today.Be Blessed today.
There is an old saying that says your freedom to swing your arm stops at the end of my nose. The decision to not get vaccinated and to not wear a mask, affects not only you but others as well. The mask is to protect others, not you. It is possible for you to carry the virus and infect others and have no idea you are doing so. People can have a bout of COVID and then catch it again and die. Just because you have had a case does not mean you are immune.

My biggest beef with the people who refuse the vaccine is this. Almost all of the COVID cases currently in the ICU are among the non vaccinated. The ICUs in many areas are filled to capacity with COVID cases to the point there are no beds for anyone else. I just read an article about a man who had a heart attack. He was held in the ER for 36 hours because there were no beds in the ICU. The beds were all filled with COVID patients. He died. He may have died anyway, but as it was, he didn't have a chance. His case is by no means not an isolated one.

I have a cousin who is a charge nurse on the pediatric floor in a fairly large metropolitan hospital. Pediatrics isn't just young children. It is anyone 18 years and under. She is now getting, and occasionally losing, young unvaccinated patients with COVID. This wasn't the case when the pandemic first hit.

I have no idea when and how the decision to get a vaccine became political. Required vaccinations are nothing new. There are certain vaccinations required before a child can start school. Years ago I enrolled in nursing school and there was a whole list of vaccinations I had to get. These were required. Today many colleges require students to be vaccinated for meningitis. I don't see the difference between that and the COVID vaccine. True, the odds are great that you will never get sick even without the vaccine, but if you do get sick by then it is far too late.
Yes, vaccine requirements have been around for years, but they have always been voluntary because there are religious, and philosophical exemptions people and parents are allowed. You weren't refused medical care, lost your career, etc. if you didn't get the vaccines offered in the past. Also, the vaccines have long track records of being reliable. Mandating a new experimental drug that doesn't even have a 5 year track record is wrong and unconstitutional in the U.S. The news has been proven to over-hype, and over estimate the COVID situation in Hospitals. Hospitals also inflate their numbers and situations because COVID is profitable to them. My Mom is a chart auditor for a major medical insurance company and can tell you how profitable it is for the Hospitals concerning COVID. Finally, the government is using this man made virus to separate us from each other. I refuse to fall for their scheme which is why I stay respectful when talking about this divisive subject. This is why I despise ALL politician's. They do nothing but destroy this beautiful, what used to be free, country we had. Our former generations that fought for this country would have never dreamed of taking away peoples freedom of choice in this country. As an Army veteran, I swore to protect the people, their freedoms, and the Constitution. I didn't offer to make the ultimate sacrifice for this country just to watch it turn into what I trained to fight, the communist. Please respect all people's right to choose what to put in their bodies. They have to live with the side effects, not you. Have a Blessed Day.
Out of respect of everyone, please keep this thread directed to chicken myths/rumors. Thank you. :)

😬 🤭 my info on platypus isn't really about chickens...but I thought it was pretty cool they avian genes...so what came 1st? Chicken, egg or platypus??? 😆 🤣 😂
That's ok! I learned something new about animals. Plus... you did have a picture of a chicken in there. ;) I just don't want any arguments going on. :)

Lol. Precious! 🐓❤️

It's true, they do raise a ruckus when laying! 😆 When I 1st got into chickens, I heard a bunch of hollering and clucking, and I ran out there, thinking maybe maybe a Fox or a hawk was in sight & scared them. But no... A hen was in the nest Box hollering, laying her egg, and all the other hens were clucking along loudly with her, as if rooting her on, It was hilarious. They still do that today, Everyone chimes in when an egg is being laid. I guess they're all expressing joy.

Some more interesting facts.

We humans share more than half our genes with chickens, and those we do share are 75% identical.

Chickens are directly descended from T. rex.” All other tyrannosaurs as well as chickens and all other birds all fit into the suborder Theropoda. Theropods are a large and diverse group of animals that have hollow bones and three-toed limbs in common.

Chickens can be found around the world, but were originally native to the tropical jungles of Southeast Asia.
Over the last approximately 8,000 years, chickens have been domesticated and spread around the globe to become one of the most valued domesticated animals.

As humans consistently chose the tamest red junglefowls and bred them together, the genetic makeup of the resulting birds will have shifted. At some stage during this domestication process the red junglefowl (Gallus gallus) evolved into a new subspecies, Gallus gallus domesticus, AKA the chicken. In practice, it is impossible to pinpoint the moment when this happened. But in theory, at some point two junglefowl bred and their offspring was genetically different enough from the species of its parents to be classified as a chicken. This chicken would have developed within a junglefowl egg and only produced the very first chicken’s egg on reaching maturity. Looked at this way, the chicken came first.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/question/came-first-chicken-egg/#ixzz7KQ6WSRqC

https://kidadl.com/animal-facts/jungle-fowl-facts

(Some pics of wild jungle fowl...aren't they gorgeous? ❤️)

f1ccc17bfcd0a4b27cdc5b8a4c522b43.jpg 0939b4a304d5ce073e04032feac65e03 (1).jpg 7f68bb23f24b2dfb372eb28f47c9cadb.jpg 4 jungle fowl.jpeg o1AJ9qDyyJNSpZWhUgGYc3MngFqoAMzdqy8RhHGVdum12PEvJ.jpeg

Last edited:
It's true, they do raise a ruckus when laying! 😆 When I 1st got into chickens, I heard a bunch of hollering and clucking, and I ran out there, thinking maybe maybe a Fox or a hawk was in sight & scared them. But no... A hen was in the nest Box hollering, laying her egg, and all the other hens were clucking along loudly with her, as if rooting her on, It was hilarious. They still do that today, Everyone chimes in when an egg is being laid. I guess they're all expressing joy.
I love it!! 🐓❤️

they don,t really look like Cochin,s but i am not hear to argue so i am going to make an example of how they are different cochin:
View attachment 2987368
pekin:
View attachment 2987377
i am very sorry it probably sounds like i am arguing and i am just stating a fact and i dont want it to be a argument so pleas dont make it one :):fl
They certainly are very different! I have cochin mixes and black pekins. The pekins look like cute little round balls of black feathers with no legs and huge feather duster feet. No necks hardly either just a little head 🤣🤣. My cochin mixes have long legs with very thin bits of feathers (I think they are mixes though so maybe my comparison doesn't count properly.😳) they certainly have very different personalities as well. My pekins (Lucky and Fern) can be pecky little buggers and stick together a lot and just do their own thing. The cochins (Norma Jean and Sandra Dee) are soooo friendly, follow me everywhere and are extremely nosey and chatty! 🤣
See my profile pic, Sandra Dee loves the camera!!😁

Last edited:
I have a hen that does that...I don't think she even notices. She'll just stop and drop an egg anywhere. Fortunately they are fairly small white eggs so there's not too much mess when she drops them from a height. She popped one out while perched on a sawhorse last week and I often find them broken under the roost.
Domino my Polish would occasionally lay her eggs wherever she pleased. Once popped one out right in front of me in the middle of my living room floor! She was always careful though and were never smashed thankfully
20200306_181918.jpg

Last edited:
I apologize for getting the topic off chickens. I too love this site as a place to learn about raising chickens and ducks from people who have done it way longer than me. I allowed my patriot side to come out in as respectful manner as possible. Though I am no longer in the Army, I guess I still want to defend freedom. I will end the conversation I have been engaged in and get back to my passion about talking about chickens, ducks, and gardening. Once again, I apologize for letting the topic stray off into the weeds. Forgive me.
Personally, I think it is fun, and interesting, when things go off topic and get in the weeds, but that is me. You never know what interesting tidbits you will find in those weeds. Some of the most informative and interesting lectures I ever got in high school and college came when the instructor got completely off topic. Once in a biology class the lecture started off on algae and ended up on world overpopulation. In algebra one day the instructor got sidetracked and started talking about his experiences in WWII. This is kind of chicken related because he told about going into a barn and helping himself to some fresh eggs from under a hen. He also milked a cow into his helmet, which was the only thing he had for a bucket. Farmwoman caught him and she was not happy. In a psychology class quite by accident we ended up learning how to cook water buffalo. Instructor had spent time going to school and living in India. Once in French class the instructor told about escaping from Chezchoslovakia(sp). He crawled about a mile on his belly through a no man's land that was also heavily mined. He occasionally told us a bit about WWII in Germany. He had been drafted into the German army when he was in his teens. So don't apologize about going in the weeds. Somebody will always get you back on topic but until they do you sometimes learn things you wouldn't otherwise learn.

Now that I have gone deeper in the weeds than anybody, here is a chicken myth I am sure you have all heard. Some people are convinced you can tell which eggs will produce pullets and which will produce cockerels. If the egg is pointed it will produce one sex and if it is round it will produce the other sex. I am sure that method is right 50% of the time. Think how much money that the hatcheries would save if only that was true.

Back
Top Bottom