Chickens in Glendale, AZ - We're on the right track!

If You reside on R1-4, R1-6, R1-7 or R1-8 lots you are currently not allowed backyard chickens.

Hope to see you on the 19th @ 1:30 in council chambers B3 for the workshop.

Last edited:
Item of Special Interest {Backyard Chickens} Council Workshop – Postponed to January 19, 2016 Glendale, AZ
I spoke with Ryan Lee {assistant to Bart Turner} today. He advised that the workshop scheduled for December 15th to discuss backyard chicken keeping has been postponed until Tuesday, January 19, 2016. See below e-mail from Ryan:

Hi Shelly,

Staff is currently researching and preparing a report to the City Council regarding allowing chickens as pets in residential neighborhoods. We were informed last week that the report will be shared with the Council on January 19, not December 15. We apologize for the delay and look forward to seeing you at the Council Workshop on January 19.

Best regards,

Ryan Lee
Council Assistant, Barrel & Cholla District
Glendale City Council
623-930-2250

If you haven’t had a chance to contact your council member you still have over a month to do so, this also means that we have the extra time frame to reach out to more city of Glendale residents.

Please spread the word about the meeting change, I know there were a few individuals including us that were planning on the meeting this month.

Sorry about the confusion, my hands go faster than my brain sometimes. If you live in R1-4, R1-6, R1-7 or R1-8 you are currently not allowed to have chickens.

We did it!!

City of Glendale council has instructed staff to create an ordinance to allow backyard chicken keeping.

In our excitement and being on cloud 9 we should mention that the ordinance still has to be written, there is still a process that the city is required to go through to change the ordinance and the city will determine certain restrictions that will apply, such as number of hens allowed, noise, nuisance etc...

This also does not change any HOA restrictions that may be in place regarding backyard chickens.

HOWEVER it is a huge step in making backyard chickens legal in the city of Glendale, and have no doubt they will be legal.

Just don't count all your chickens before they hatch, but feel free to do the chicken dance!

Yeah. I was at the workshop supporting Jamie Aldama and the Ocotillo district. I had the black RNDM hat, and my roommate came with me :D

I'm glad things went well. I also think it would be good to mention that David Farnsworth (legislator) is making another push similar to SB1151, I believe the new bill proposal is 1140. I'm still trying to find more info on it so I can spread the word, but the last push was a statewide bill that would prevent municipalities from enforcing laws that would prevent people from owning poultry, including turkeys, waterfowl, and so forth. It's important to note that the bill actually made it to the house of representatives, so there is a good amount of traction on it. With some support, it just might pass.

Let me know if you find out anything about the surveying that they'll be doing to define regulation, and I'll do whatever I can to get involved. The more chickens, the better. Also, I'd be pretty happy if the coop restrictions weren't too prohibitive.

Yeah. I was at the workshop supporting Jamie Aldama and the Ocotillo district. I had the black RNDM hat, and my roommate came with me :D

I'm glad things went well. I also think it would be good to mention that David Farnsworth (legislator) is making another push similar to SB1151, I believe the new bill proposal is 1140. I'm still trying to find more info on it so I can spread the word, but the last push was a statewide bill that would prevent municipalities from enforcing laws that would prevent people from owning poultry, including turkeys, waterfowl, and so forth. It's important to note that the bill actually made it to the house of representatives, so there is a good amount of traction on it. With some support, it just might pass.

Let me know if you find out anything about the surveying that they'll be doing to define regulation, and I'll do whatever I can to get involved. The more chickens, the better. Also, I'd be pretty happy if the coop restrictions weren't too prohibitive.

I'm pretty sure we saw you, we were across the aisle on the end. The manager from Pratts was there along with about 5 others there for backyard chicken support.

Yes, SB 1140 had its first reading yesterday as well.

Any update? Talked to a lady today and she said we can now keep chickens as of a cuple weeks ago. Acording to her lot size she can have 5. Im in zone 8 if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom