Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
He is a beauty, did you hatch him from my eggs? :) Lovely birds that you have, you should be very proud.

I have lemon blues and brown reds.

This is a chick out of the pen with my brown red rooster in my avatar pic. I have a lemon blue hen in with him. The light color splash chicks behind it are from the lemon blue pen. Pic is kinda blurry.

Did you keep any additional roosters. I did not hatch any roosters at all. One out of over twenty. I need a rooster.. You never know what the percentages of sexes there will be. Anyways. They look great.

Candace

Did you keep any additional roosters. I did not hatch any roosters at all. One out of over twenty. I need a rooster.. You never know what the percentages of sexes there will be. Anyways. They look great.
Candace

I couldn't decide what rooster I like the best so I kept 3. There is 2 that get along good so I'm thinking about getting rid of the 1

Quote:
I would love to see some discussions of the various body parts as described in the SOP. Sometimes its hard for a lot of us to interpret correctly what is written. Starting with the head, and working our way through to the tail. What to look for . . . What to cull for . . .What is a crow head . . . What is a split breast . . . What are weak wings . . . What is a pinched tail. I know the text of the SOP is copyrighted, but I think it can be generalized and discussed with no problems; and as long as everyone realizes the discussion is a supplement to the SOP books, and not a replacement for them.

We have yet on any of the Cochin threads to have a good "classroom" teaching session on the complete bird. We have excellent bits & pieces, but it's hard to get a complete picture sometimes when we all go off on tangents. Even if we focused on one (or two) body part(s) a day, it would be a great learning tool - for me, at least!! And where the Standard is different for LF and Bantams, we should be sure to cover both descriptions, and the differences between the two.

Would that type of discussion help anyone? Nancy, what do you think . . . I don't mean to hijack your thread.

I would love that, Gail--I'm constantly combing through threads for that kind of information. The chatting and pretty pictures are fun, but I'd really like to be learning more. I only just learned about split breasts a few days ago because it was posted in the other cochin thread and I know there's a lot more I need to know about cochins if I want to move forward with the birds I have. Thanks for proposing this :) I will actually participate to the best of my ability instead of just lurking!

Back
Top Bottom