Cochin Thread!!!

What age do large fowl really start showing comb and waddle development? I have 2 that are about 14 weeks old and I can't tell for the life of me. I can tell on the bantams at like 3 1/2 weeks but I am still stumped on these guys. I think they are cockerels.

this one in the front is younger, but I am thinking cockerel as well??

I'm so excited! I went to buy chicken and chick food and Alan from Heartland was there selling chicks! I bought 2 Red Frizzle Cochins, 2 Blue Splash Cochins, 2 Blue or Blue Splash Silkies and one little thing that Alan thought might be an Olde English but on the gender/breed board they think it's a D'uccle.

Possilble D'uccle

Same chick, possible D'uccle

Blue or Blue Splash Silkies

Same chicks, Blue or Blue Splash Silkies.

Red Frizzled Cochins

Same chicks, Red Frizzled Cochins.

Blue Splash Cochins.

Same chicks, Blue Splash Cochins.

Aren't they just too cute?!

I need someone to straighten me out I guess. I thought all bantam cochins had the rounded tails and not straight feathered tails that point up.. Am I incorrect? Do cochins have both kinds of tails?

Oh, they're so cute! Can you tell which are the Cochin and which are the Marans?
Thank you
Yes, the cochins have a lot more fluff on their legs and feet, they also are developing slower so their feathers and combs are much shorter. All the black chicks are black copper Marans. There is 3 blue Marans and 3 LF cochin.

What age do large fowl really start showing comb and waddle development? I have 2 that are about 14 weeks old and I can't tell for the life of me. I can tell on the bantams at like 3 1/2 weeks but I am still stumped on these guys. I think they are cockerels. this one in the front is younger, but I am thinking cockerel as well??
Hens! My Roos got there's at 3weeks.

I'm so excited! I went to buy chicken and chick food and Alan from Heartland was there selling chicks! I bought 2 Red Frizzle Cochins, 2 Blue Splash Cochins, 2 Blue or Blue Splash Silkies and one little thing that Alan thought might be an Olde English but on the gender/breed board they think it's a D'uccle. Possilble D'uccle Same chick, possible D'uccle Blue or Blue Splash Silkies Same chicks, Blue or Blue Splash Silkies. Red Frizzled Cochins Same chicks, Red Frizzled Cochins. Blue Splash Cochins. Same chicks, Blue Splash Cochins. Aren't they just too cute?!
It's a d'uucle .

Back
Top Bottom